A loud knock at the door

The first of many adventures to come
User avatar
Arlette Craven
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:45 am
Race: Human
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Re: A loud knock at the door

Post by Arlette Craven » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:32 pm

"I say we move on, friends, but we should approach Kalinda cautiously - if that's where they went with those bodies, it's probably a strong hold for the cult."
User avatar
Elec
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:19 pm
Race: Half-Elf
Class: 1st-lvl Ranger

Re: A loud knock at the door

Post by Elec » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:08 pm

"I agree. The faster we end the cult,The better it is for all of us. They might gain strength from any of our delays"
User avatar
Kull
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:17 pm
Race: Half-Orc
Class: 1st lvl figther

Re: A loud knock at the door

Post by Kull » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:28 am

Kull looks at the others than nods in agreement : the faster we get done the better. Its like a bear the longer it lives the stornger it gets. so lets sotp this when its still safe
User avatar
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Posts: 354
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:17 pm
Race: Human
Class: Dungeon Master

Re: A loud knock at the door

Post by NeomerArcana » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:12 am

The group makes it way through Castlemouth, which doesn't take long, there is only a small town centre. The road ahead is through a heavily populated valley, the end of which is the Craven Mountains, and nestled in the side of a sheer cliff you can see Kalindar, the capital.

To either side of the road are large farmsteads, with large, ornate buildings, walls, and driveways. These look like the farms of lords of the court, granted in the valley of the king. It takes a few hours to reach the castle, and the group arrives just as the sun is setting. Before you is the sheer cliff that you cold see from so far away, and jutting out of it in different places is the castle. A walled outcropping sits in the centre, a once natural cavemouth has been widened and worked to become the single entry point of the castle. The walls here jutt out from either side, forming a natural corridor through which any attackers would have to enter.

Hilda and Hragg you are intrigued by the design of the castle. They have used the natural state of the stone and rock to make virtually impenetrable walls. These aren't walls built by hand, consisting of bricks and mortar. Instead, these walls are solid rock. Nothing would penetrate.

As you arrive at the gate you are unchallenged. It is a time of peace and therefore the castle is open to the public, but truely there is not much need for the general population to enter, unless it was to petition the king. This late in the day though there is no one entering as the king would no longer be attending court. The guards do look at you with interest though, it is a little odd to have visitors this late in the day. No doubt you will be monitored and possibly followed to ensure you're not up to no good.

Signposts on a natural rock hallway point you in several directions. To the court of the king, the guardhouse, and the church.

Arlette
8/8 HP
438gp 158sp 24cp + 2x Gemstone Necklaces (~700gp each)
3 rations
18 bolts
Kull
13/13 HP
417gp 9sp
Grigori
24/26 HP
5gp
2 rations
Fenner
4/4 HP
14gp 7sp 5cp
1 rations
Light (0) - 1
Prestidigitation (0) - 1
Ray of Frost (0) - 0/1
Feather Fall (1) - 1
Mage Armor (1) - 0/1
Magic Missile (1) - 0/1
User avatar
Kull
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:17 pm
Race: Half-Orc
Class: 1st lvl figther

Re: A loud knock at the door

Post by Kull » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:20 pm

Kull looks with awe that the castle. He has never seen a fortification like this before. He could imagine that a siege would only succed by starving the garnison. But he also notices that this castle is a almost certain dead end which means you cant escape nor resupply.
He turns to the other once the group reached the hallway and looks at them not sure what to do next: so what do you guys thinks we should do now ?
we could go to the church to ask for help but i dont know if they will help
User avatar
Arlette Craven
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:45 am
Race: Human
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Re: A loud knock at the door

Post by Arlette Craven » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:08 pm

"We should head to the church, see what e can find out there, I still have these scrolls and we can update them on what has happened... if we think they are trustworthy and not corrupt, of course."
User avatar
Elec
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:19 pm
Race: Half-Elf
Class: 1st-lvl Ranger

Re: A loud knock at the door

Post by Elec » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:41 pm

Elec eyes the gates warily, he has been to more towns in this journey than he had in the past five years. They were beginning to feel the same to him "Let's head to the church then. But we must be careful about what we speak, who knows how deep is this cult influence."
User avatar
Arlette Craven
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:45 am
Race: Human
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Re: A loud knock at the door

Post by Arlette Craven » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:02 pm

Arlette will contact the thieves guild to find out about the local community, if there is any word of a cult, of corruption, generally what is going on in the area.
User avatar
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Posts: 354
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:17 pm
Race: Human
Class: Dungeon Master

Re: A loud knock at the door

Post by NeomerArcana » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:35 pm

Arlette though you look around as best you can, there's no sign of a theives guild. The castle doesn't really have enough of a population to allow for one, and even then, it would be fairly foolhardy to steal from the king directly.

The group makes the decision to head toward the church. A few twists and turns and a couple of helpful directions from bored guards lands you at the entrance to a great cathedral. It's massive wooden doors are wide open, revealing a massive cavernous hall. Hilda and Hragg, you can tell that this was once a massive natural cavern, but the stone has been worked with great precision and great care to transform it into what must be one of the largest churches in existence. True to the name of the Sun God, around the top of the cathedral are great windows, set into the stonework, that spill natural light in. Even though it is dark now, you can only imagine what it must look like on a summers day. For now, the space is filled with fire-light. Torches are in sconces every 20 feet or so, and a great fire in an enormous fireplace causes the shadows to dance behind you.

You are greeted by a guilded priest, adorned in fine cloth.

"Come, you poor souls. You must be in need of Pelor's blessings to have come all this way. Come, come. We have beds by the hearth a warm stew for you. Please, come and give thanks. He will accept all of you in his divine light, you need but ask him."

This last bit he says while looking at Kull, Hragg and Hilda in particular.

Feradrimlam breaks his usual silence to mutter. "Oh aye, that's all, give in to the church and you'll be fed."

Arlette
8/8 HP
438gp 158sp 24cp + 2x Gemstone Necklaces (~700gp each)
3 rations
18 bolts
Kull
13/13 HP
417gp 9sp
Grigori
24/26 HP
5gp
2 rations
Fenner
4/4 HP
14gp 7sp 5cp
1 rations
Light (0) - 1
Prestidigitation (0) - 1
Ray of Frost (0) - 0/1
Feather Fall (1) - 1
Mage Armor (1) - 0/1
Magic Missile (1) - 0/1
User avatar
Arlette Craven
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:45 am
Race: Human
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Re: A loud knock at the door

Post by Arlette Craven » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:30 pm

Arlette is suspicious at the very welcoming greeting

Sense motive
1d20+7
Locked