Arlette's Midnight Meeting

The first of many adventures to come
Post Reply
User avatar
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Posts: 321
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:17 pm
Race: Human
Class: Dungeon Master

Arlette's Midnight Meeting

Post by NeomerArcana » Fri May 17, 2019 7:21 pm

Arlette you follow the map and proceed down the dirt street. You stick to the shadows, moving as quickly and quietly as possible, darting between shadows beside houses, next to bushes etc. You watch the building indicated for sometime, there is a lit lantern outside, sitting on an overturned crate, beside which sits a small man, you recognise a halfling when you see one, perched on the stair.
User avatar
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Posts: 321
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:17 pm
Race: Human
Class: Dungeon Master

Re: Arlette's Midnight Meeting

Post by NeomerArcana » Fri May 17, 2019 8:02 pm

Along the way, you have spotted a couple of children out way past their bedtime, doing their best to remain hidden. They sneak off as you got closer down the road. When you are nearer the building, remaining out of sight of he halfling on the step, you overhear a conversation between two voices coming from inside:

"Has Caleebaris brought in his earnings for the week yet?"
"Nah, not yet boss. He's always a bit late."
"Yeah well... send Brandt and Furraen over to his place, make sure he turns in his kick-up."
"Alright, boss."

With that, the second voice opens the front door and calls in the halfling sitting outside. "Go find Brandt and Furraen, tell them to go over to Caleebaris' place, get his payment."

The halfling sets off down the road away from you, and ducks between the buildings.
User avatar
Arlette Craven
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:45 am
Race: Human
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Re: Arlette's Midnight Meeting

Post by Arlette Craven » Sat May 18, 2019 5:42 pm

Arlette approaches the building cautiously. She will move around the building, looking for all the exits, any clues, and listen as she goes before deciding to enter.

Move silently check
1d20+6

Hide check
1d20+6

Spot check
1d20+5

Search check
1d20+6

Listen check
1d20+6
User avatar
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Posts: 321
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:17 pm
Race: Human
Class: Dungeon Master

Re: Arlette's Midnight Meeting

Post by NeomerArcana » Sat May 18, 2019 6:14 pm

As you're sneaking around the exterior of the building, setting up a mental map of the windows and doors, you accidentally brush past a wind-chime. The tinkling sound is only slight, but it's enough to draw attention.

"Don't be daft girl, come on in," calls the first voice you heard before. "We invited you, so we know you're around."

While walking around outside, you did spot a slight depression in the earth, leading in a straight line away from the building to a neighbouring one. Along it's path there was a small garden surrounded by stone. In the centre of this garden, in a bush, was a hollow metal pipe sticking out of the ground.
User avatar
Arlette Craven
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:45 am
Race: Human
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Re: Arlette's Midnight Meeting

Post by Arlette Craven » Sun May 19, 2019 8:12 pm

Arlette calls out. "Are you Dalcallad, and did you slip this note into my pocket?"

Sense Motive check:1d20+7
User avatar
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Posts: 321
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:17 pm
Race: Human
Class: Dungeon Master

Re: Arlette's Midnight Meeting

Post by NeomerArcana » Sun May 19, 2019 8:14 pm

"Yes, girl. I am and I did. Now come on in. We've things to discuss, like why some daft fool girl is trying to rob the aristocracy of my city."

Arlette, you don't detect anything untoward in his invitation.
User avatar
Arlette Craven
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:45 am
Race: Human
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Re: Arlette's Midnight Meeting

Post by Arlette Craven » Sun May 19, 2019 8:32 pm

"I'm sure you can understand my hesitance, so please, answer me this question; what was the password you wrote on that scroll?"

"And as for Geralt, we simply made acquaintances, all rectified by a light-hearted wrestle and a wager. No harm, no foul, no ill-intent I assure you." She tries to laugh off the incident, highlighting the good spirits the evening ended in. Arlette feels somewhat concerned; no-one has ever called her out for her thieving before.

"What would you like to discuss?"
User avatar
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Posts: 321
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:17 pm
Race: Human
Class: Dungeon Master

Re: Arlette's Midnight Meeting

Post by NeomerArcana » Mon May 20, 2019 7:44 am

"Featherweight," he says.

Arlette I'll assume you've at least approached if not outright entered the building.

As you come closer to the light you get a better look at the fellow. He is a halfling, though tall for his kind, he is not as tall as the halflings you saw Landowe deal with at the beginning of your journey. He wears a grey and brown tunic and trowsers along with a dark brown cowl under which you can see a fine chainmail. His boots are well worn leather rising high toward his knees. There are no weapons on his body, none that you can see at least. In the corner is a small backpack, strapped up tight.

"I am Dalcallad," he says. "I run the Left Graft, the local theives guild. I would ask you why you didn't pay us a visit before operating on our turf, but I get the sense that you're not a member of the guilds, are you dear?"
User avatar
Arlette Craven
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:45 am
Race: Human
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Re: Arlette's Midnight Meeting

Post by Arlette Craven » Mon May 20, 2019 1:44 pm

"To be honest with you, Dalacallad, I have not heard of a thieves guild. I do not wish to offend, so please, what is this thieves guild and how do I become a member? Are there any tips you have for me, or I'm assuming rules I must follow given this midnight meeting."

She looks Dalcallad up and down and adds, "by the way, can I ask you a question? I met some rather tall halflings on the road on my travels here, are halflings getting taller?"
User avatar
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Posts: 321
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:17 pm
Race: Human
Class: Dungeon Master

Re: Arlette's Midnight Meeting

Post by NeomerArcana » Mon May 20, 2019 3:09 pm

He seems momentarily perplexed by your question. "... I am tall. That is all... well. You know how some of you humans are darker than obsidian, yet others are as white as snow? In the same way, there are halflings from some parts of the land which we call Tallfellow Halflings. I believe some of their blood runs in my veins."

"The theives guilds are obviously guilds of theives... much like the merchants guild that holds these kingdoms by the throat, except we hardly extort that amount of power or control. We simply exist to keep crime to orderly levels. In this way it is known that we exist, yet none with political power would ever acknowledge our purpose, let alone our existance. For us to perform this function, all crime must be run through the guilds. Each city has it's own guild that operates separately, yet it is expected that when visiting other cities, a member makes themselves known to that cities' guild."

"Especially if they wish to undertake any crime in that city."

"In this way, we are left much alone by the authorities. In turn we provide politicians and kings with the occassional "win" against criminals. Quite often we never need to rob a wealthy man, for he pays us to remain in possession of his things. That is how we operate, mostly."

"Now. There is no formal membership per se. But next time you commit a crime in my city, I expect to recieve my 10% of whatever money you make. No exceptions. If you require the services of a fencer, I can assist of course. Or if you have trouble with the authorities, or need some place to lay-low. You get the idea."

"However, if you never introduce yourself to me, I don't know you. I won't help you. In other cities, you could simply disappear for not making yourself known to the right people."

He now instructs you on the finer points of secret hand signals and chalk marks. With this information you should be able to locate a theives guild anywhere in The Three Kingdoms and signal that you wish to introduce yourself to someone in charge.
Post Reply