Into the Swamp

User avatar
Arlette Craven
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:45 am
Race: Human
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Re: Into the Swamp

Post by Arlette Craven » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:00 pm

"Should we take this back to town? Perhaps they could use it at the orphanage, the children would probably like such a massive pet!"
User avatar
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Posts: 633
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:17 pm
Race: Human
Class: Dungeon Master

Re: Into the Swamp

Post by NeomerArcana » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:47 pm

(I'll assume you lead the bison back to town)

When you eventually head up that same road you came down when you arrived, you're pleased to see that the road is clear and feels a lot less ominous than it previously did. About halfway down the road, you pass a few people, they're in carts or carrying a lot of the belongings. They don't stop long to talk but tell you they've had enough and are leaving the town.

At the main gate, you find it closed. A few knocks and the same guard as before welcomes you in. He's smiling, seems quite happy. People are out and about. Everything seems back to normal.

Back at the orphanage, you're greeted by the brothers and the children; but you're informed that old nun has disappeared. It's beginning to get dark, and everyone is worried. One of the children tells you that the dark man took her, but further questioning reveals just a frightened child who didn't see anything.

Everything in town seems well; but Mother Sceris is missing.

Your bandit companion who was bitten by a snake falls down as you're all catching up and trying to decide what to do. He seems very pale now and is sweating profusely.
User avatar
Celaena
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:20 pm
Race: Select
Class:

Re: Into the Swamp

Post by Celaena » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:18 pm

"The dark man?" Celaena glances at her new companions, hoping they know who the child is talking about
User avatar
Wikk Slyscale
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:39 pm
Race: Kobold
Class: 2nd Level Wizard

Re: Into the Swamp

Post by Wikk Slyscale » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:07 am

As they began to cross the paths of those departing town, Wikk would draw his hood over his scaly head and keep it low. The appearance of normality would relax the little dragon's shoulders; if folks aren't on edge, they're likely not to be looking for anything out of place after all. However, the Mother that was spoken of prior would come up missing, and so he would await the results of their initial inquiries. When it comes up that the child who spoke of the Dark Man hadn't seen anything, he would reply to their newest companion, Calaena, "Not I, but it seems to be nothing." He'll look to the others, "Has the Orphanage been searched high and low?"
User avatar
Ludo Fritzwick
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:59 pm
Race: Gnome
Class: 2nd-level Bard

Re: Into the Swamp

Post by Ludo Fritzwick » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:56 am

Ludo chimes in, "I've heard of the Dark Man before. Hey Kull, don't you remember? I mentioned it on our way to check out the ship and harbour master." He turns his attention back to the full group, "I overheard someone talking about it, I think they said someone called Glave mentioned the path being blocked by the dark man? Something along those lines. Always The though, never A. Could be a coincidence or just a story, but all good stories have some truth to them. My call would be to talk to this Glave fella. Mother Sceris going missing is quite serious, I completely get why people are worried." On spotting the returning bandit, Ludo gives him a raised eyebrow, "Ah nice of you to rejoin us. How you feeling?" Noting his appearance he looks to Wikk or Celaena, "Shit, I don't suppose either of you are any good healers? I think this man needs a healer. We can't have him dying on his, not when he still has time to repay!"
User avatar
Wikk Slyscale
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:39 pm
Race: Kobold
Class: 2nd Level Wizard

Re: Into the Swamp

Post by Wikk Slyscale » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:01 am

Wikk would merely shake his head in reply to Ludo. Approaching the man all the same he'd give the bandit a once-over and find the snake bite, "I do not know if an anti-toxin would be of help this far in but that would be what I would try." He'll shuffle over to his wagon and draw a ladle of water from a barrel and bring it to the man, "Drink slowly if you can."
User avatar
Kull
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:17 pm
Race: Half-Orc
Class: 1st lvl figther

Re: Into the Swamp

Post by Kull » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:56 am

Kull shrugs" We never had the idea to really search for this figure. I thought its some thug or a creep. Nothing you should be really concerned about. Ludo, i guess we need to get those guys of our backs. They arent made for this kind of life." He grabs a short piece of rope to get the bison to move with him.
"Lets just hope that those cult guys were all what caused trouble here".
User avatar
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Posts: 633
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:17 pm
Race: Human
Class: Dungeon Master

Re: Into the Swamp

Post by NeomerArcana » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:07 pm

Wikks simple ministrations soothe the man, but one of the brothers tells you that the church will care for him. They take him away to one of the private dorm rooms, to be healed. The remaining two bandits look concerned before outright asking politely. "Can you all let us go now? It's clear you don't know what to do with us, and truth be known you'll get the three of us killed before long. We know we did crime, but it was in desperation that we did. Honest. Let us go so we can be out of your hair and we can return home."

The bison seems to be quite content to be led around by Kull.
User avatar
Grigori Steelbrow
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:06 am
Race: Dwarf
Class: 1st-lvl fighter

Re: Into the Swamp

Post by Grigori Steelbrow » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:11 pm

"Well, I would first ask what you intend to do upon release. I'm sure we could see you to the docks for employment and relative security. Odds are they would appreciate more hands to manage the dockyard or even employ you as a merchant's assistant."

Grigori then presents his arms, palms up, in a sort of "welcome" like gesture with an expression to match.

DM are there any checks you need for this?
User avatar
Arlette Craven
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:45 am
Race: Human
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Re: Into the Swamp

Post by Arlette Craven » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:57 pm

Arlette turns to Kull, "didn't you need some men for the ships, and some of the older boys from the orphanage were going to join too? We should escort them down there, they can't get away freely for what they had done but it seems travelling with us has been a punishment."

She turns to the others, "I'm not sure if we should look for Mother Sceris, I don't believe she was really part of this world; perhaps she was protecting the orphanage and now is no longer needed so has left..." She trails off in thought.

Arlette will get in touch with the thieves guild to learn more about the changes to the town since their travels and to ask more of Mother Sceris.

DM please let me know of any rolls.
Post Reply