In the quarters of The Sword of Pelor

User avatar
Arlette Craven
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:45 am
Race: Human
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Re: In the quarters of The Sword of Pelor

Post by Arlette Craven » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:38 pm

Arlette nods thoughtfully at Kulls request of the King, but before the King can answer she offers a deal;
"We'll take your message and will leave immediately, however you are indebted to us; we have saved your life twice now, allowed you to conduct your negotiations in peace and reach a beneficial agreement, and are to risk our lives again for you. What I ask for in return is land. We require land in the Kalindar valley to set up our estates together and to be titled noblemen. We have proven our value to you already and I ask we are rewarded fittingly."

Diplomacy check
1d20+4

As the King considers her request she turns to Kull and the others, "We can find out what happened to the bodies with Janice as we promised her we would. The trouble in Southport the church sent us to investigate can wait, there will be more patrols from the King and Merchants now that any trouble should be slowed whilst we hurry to Rivendale to deliver this message, then we can return to Southport." She pauses, then turns back to the King, "In fact, your Majesty, can you send some men to Southport, the evil you are concerned about growing in the Guild may very well be the same we are noticing in the Church and have heard is in Southport? We can then return to help them once we have delivered your message." Arlette stands with her hands on her hips, quite chuffed with her negotiating abilities.
User avatar
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Posts: 633
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:17 pm
Race: Human
Class: Dungeon Master

Re: In the quarters of The Sword of Pelor

Post by NeomerArcana » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:00 am

The king thinks for a few moments before replying. "This would cause me much difficulty... I'm sure you realise I would have to take land from a nobleman to grant you this request. No. I'm sorry, it's quite impossible. Were I to acknowledge that you may have aided my men in protecting me, I would be required to reveal that I dealt with the guilds directly and behind closed doors. This cannot be known."

"I tell you this though. Deliver my message and return to Kalindar. Seek an audience with me. We will discuss other, secret dealings and investigations that I need done. My spymaster is short-staffed and has been asking me some time for additional, reliable help." he emphasises the word 'reliable'.

Is there anything left you guys want to do? Anything here in Lavender? What's the next destination? It's about dawn now.
User avatar
Grigori Steelbrow
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:06 am
Race: Dwarf
Class: 1st-lvl fighter

Re: In the quarters of The Sword of Pelor

Post by Grigori Steelbrow » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:08 pm

Grigori, rather irate at the mention of secret dealings, speaks with animosity in his voice. "Oh no, not this again. Those deranged merchants fooled me once." He gestures to the merchants present. "They had me thinking I was simply collecting what's due or going where the law couldn't, but after some questionable raids I had to walk away. I couldn't act as their evil little pawn just to pay debts anymore."
User avatar
Kai Sylgeiros
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:37 am
Race: Human
Class: 2nd-lvl Paladin

Re: In the quarters of The Sword of Pelor

Post by Kai Sylgeiros » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:27 am

"I too do not have good experience with secret dealing, unless i am comfortable with the ins and outs of a mission amd its purpose i am afraid i would be unable to assist you my king" kai says firmly.
User avatar
Ludo Fritzwick
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:59 pm
Race: Gnome
Class: 2nd-level Bard

Re: In the quarters of The Sword of Pelor

Post by Ludo Fritzwick » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:09 am

Ludo notes how two members of their party were already in opposition to working in secret, but he shrugs and goes along with, "Honestly, I still don't know how I've ended up here, and I sure as heck couldn't continue this work alone. But, working in a team, in secret, I'm fine with it. I go where the others go. It'll make for a nice adventure."
User avatar
Kull
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:17 pm
Race: Half-Orc
Class: 1st lvl figther

Re: In the quarters of The Sword of Pelor

Post by Kull » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:23 am

Kull shrugs as he doesnt really cares who he works for as long as the risk he takes is equal to the pay. He takes his time to speak to not offend anyone in the room through a missused word or prhase: I would say it depends. I dont really have trouble working as a fighter for the church of pelor ,but i have no trouble working for someone else espcially if the person offering it holds a lot of power which means we are most likly on the righ side. Arlette what do you say ?
User avatar
Arlette Craven
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:45 am
Race: Human
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Re: In the quarters of The Sword of Pelor

Post by Arlette Craven » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:28 am

Arlette has no problems with moving in secret, but she is offended by the King's refusal of her proposal. "Your Majesty, you have slighted us and what we have achieved for you here tonight. You are in a position to create any backstory you wish to justify the rewards we so obviously deserve and instead you offer us nothing but more danger and secrecy." Arlette feigns concern for the secrecy as Grigori and Kai were against it, though she is fine with a little espionage but was so offended by the Kings lack of a counter-offer her pride wouldn't let her accept such a task. "I believe it is in our best interest to be on our way to Southport to finish our mission for the Church, you'll have to find some other competent and trustworthy individual to send your messages, though I believe you can see they are incredibly difficult to come by."

She turns to her friends, "I think it's time for us to leave," she looks back at the King "if you change your mind, there is always room to negotiate." With that, she motions to leave to check back on Janice and Falias, assuming or rather hoping the others will join her. As she reaches the door she stops, "How do you know it was one of the Merchants Guild who betrayed you and not one of your own men, one of your own court?" She looks pointedly at each member of his party before finally resting on the King.
User avatar
Ludo Fritzwick
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:59 pm
Race: Gnome
Class: 2nd-level Bard

Re: In the quarters of The Sword of Pelor

Post by Ludo Fritzwick » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:36 am

Ludo is really impressed with the words coming from Arlette, and he's made his decision to follow the route she goes rather than the orders being given to them. He bows before the King as he moves towards her, "Nothing personal your highness, but apparently we already have a mission. It's late, well no, it's early, best we all get some rest."

As Ludo moves towards Arlette, he makes a mental note to chase her up about this mission he's found himself on, and even whether he's a part of it. He sure hopes so though, he's been having fun and can see more stories coming from all this.
User avatar
Grigori Steelbrow
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:06 am
Race: Dwarf
Class: 1st-lvl fighter

Re: In the quarters of The Sword of Pelor

Post by Grigori Steelbrow » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:19 pm

Grigori glares at the king and the merchants before following Arlette towards the exit. He doesn't say a word as he turns to join the head of the group, just lets out a small chuff of disdain.
User avatar
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Posts: 633
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:17 pm
Race: Human
Class: Dungeon Master

Re: In the quarters of The Sword of Pelor

Post by NeomerArcana » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:20 am

Okay guys, time to head to Southport.

It looks like the king is true to his word, as you travel south, you are overtaken by several mounted patrols. The kingsmen are back on the trails. You even pass an armed group setting up camp one afternoon, a brief and friendly conversation reveals that they are mercenaries in the employ of the Merchants Guild, paid to guard the road. Along the way you notice there's a lot more traffic than normal, a lot of friendly peasants off to see family they haven't seen for a while. The mood of the kingdom seems a little lighter now that people can roam the trails again.

As you turn one corner of the road, around a little hillock, you come across one of the kings patrols taking cover behind a small embankment. One of them sees your group and motions for you to get down off your horses and to take cover off the road where they are. You all automatically obey and get the gist of the situation.

The patrol came across some bandits that they have chased to this old ruined watchtower on the side of the hill. The bandits in there are taking pot-shots with bolts and arrows at the kingsmen, who are having some difficulty in approaching the tower.

"We can't starve them out," says the captain. "We're too few to surround them, we need to get in there, but there's only this one approach, and they've got it well covered."
Locked