In the quarters of The Sword of Pelor

Locked
User avatar
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Posts: 633
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:17 pm
Race: Human
Class: Dungeon Master

In the quarters of The Sword of Pelor

Post by NeomerArcana » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:09 am

It has been some weeks since you returned to Kalindar castle after putting an end to a cult of Hextor. The two bodies that [bKull[/b] and Arlette has started the adventure escorting, have been handed over to the healers of the church, with the help of Fenner and Grigori. Fera has taken his leave, the events are more than the simple brigand ever bargained for. Father Klavin, the leader of this more militaristic sect of the church has reformed The Sword of Pelor, a group of warriors that the church uses to track and put an end to any evil cults that spring up in The Three Kingdoms.

It has been a long time since any news of a cult was heard, and a long time since The Sword was in active service. Some within the church feel affronted by these events, that the church was unable to perceive and put an end to these threats sooner. Father Klavin, for his part, reassures these other church leaders that these cults operate in the shadows, and that eternal vigilance is required. After many hours of meetings and debates, Father Klavin's reformation of The Sword has been met with general church approval, and that has provided him with some small amount of funding.

He has asked you all if you will entertain remaining in the employ of The Sword. You would be each paid 50gp a month. Your job is to follow up leads, track down rumors of dark magiks being performed, and use heavy-handed tactics where you deem appropriate. Any assets you seize from cults, excluding any evil items, will be split 50% to yourselves, and the remaining to be utilized by the church to further fund The Sword.

You are under no obligation to take up this offer. Father Klavin has given you the week to discuss it among yourselves; you will need to give an answer soon.

There has been no word from the healers about the two bodies.

You have heard that the difficulties travelers face on The Trails has still been increasing. The Merchants Guild and The Kingdom of Kalindar are still at odds.
User avatar
Fenner Bates
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:33 am
Race: Human
Class: 1st-lvl Transmuter

Re: In the quarters of The Sword of Pelor

Post by Fenner Bates » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:16 am

"What do you all think. My sabbatical is not near completion yet and having consistent income would be agreeable."
User avatar
Kull
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:17 pm
Race: Half-Orc
Class: 1st lvl figther

Re: In the quarters of The Sword of Pelor

Post by Kull » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:23 am

Kull scratches his head and uses his fingers to add up his expenses. Apparently its a bit difficult as he also starts to use his toes too but after some time he turns around and looks at the others with a smile : I think this is a very nice pay for a job that requires no learned profession and is pretty harmless. Given the merchants might want to hunt after us after we screwed up their little ritual its safest to keep close to the church.What about you guys, while i can stand alone pretty well, you have proven yourself as good companions i rather not miss on my side. who is with me ?
User avatar
Arlette Craven
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:45 am
Race: Human
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Re: In the quarters of The Sword of Pelor

Post by Arlette Craven » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:27 am

Whilst this taste of adventure had been quite an eye-opening experience for Arlette, very different from her sheltered city life, she had her reasons to keep from returning to her city. "If Kull is in, I'm in. The rest of you have shown yourselves to have some utility as well, we could make a good way together." She looks to Grigori to see if he will be joining them as well.
User avatar
Grigori Steelbrow
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:06 am
Race: Dwarf
Class: 1st-lvl fighter

Re: In the quarters of The Sword of Pelor

Post by Grigori Steelbrow » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:17 am

Feeling some obligation to the group now in addition to other debts outside of the group Grigori pipes up with, "Aye, you've all proven good company that I'd be lost without; better working with you than those accursed merchants."
User avatar
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Posts: 633
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:17 pm
Race: Human
Class: Dungeon Master

Re: In the quarters of The Sword of Pelor

Post by NeomerArcana » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:53 pm

A couple of days later, Klavin enters the common hall, where you're all dining. It's just the 4 of you here now, no new members have signed up, despite the open attempts at recruiting. In the kitchen is Sister Esmerelda, who is attending to The Swords quaters, cleaning and cooking etc. She seems well mannered, but is obviously not happy with this assignment. Klavin sits and take a small peice of meat with a fork before proceeding.

"It appears that our healers cannot help these two..." he says. "They need to be taken to the healers at The Temple of the Sun, in Rivendale. If our greatest healers cannot help... then they are beyond lost. We must do what we can for these strangers."

"However," he continues. "We've received word of something evil arising from the Furgalan Swamp near Southport. Another town by the swamp, Clearwater, has also sent word of evils in the night, coming from the swamp."

"The Sword can't do both, so we need to decide if we complete the healing of those two people, who were being used for some evil ritual, or do we investigate these new disturbences, in case there be truth to them and another cult is attempting some foul magic?"

"I'll leave it for you all to decide. Are there any questions before I go for the night?"
User avatar
Kull
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:17 pm
Race: Half-Orc
Class: 1st lvl figther

Re: In the quarters of The Sword of Pelor

Post by Kull » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:37 am

Kull removes some meat stuck between his teeth. Then he turns to Kalvin and responds: Well i think you could transport the bodies with a normal escorte just as i once did. on the other hand those rumors you heard of an new cult should be resarched quickly as we dont know if they might be true. Kull then waits for the rest of the group to state their opinions. Before going to sleep he will ready his gear for another harsh and exhausting journey.
User avatar
Arlette Craven
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:45 am
Race: Human
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Re: In the quarters of The Sword of Pelor

Post by Arlette Craven » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:18 am

Arlette is noticeably on edge. She feels a sense of obligation to return these people and see them returned to health, plus find out what happened to Landowe, but she can't risk going back to Rivendale, they would have to pass through Orthendine and Middleton, and she would surely be recognised, especially in such a mismatched group travelling with a couple of bodies.

Her eyes dart up when Kull mentions the escort, "Yes, surely that is a good idea? Or even organise for some troops to accompany any escort group you assemble to take them to Rivendale" the keenness and excitement in her voice is obvious, "we can go to Southport." She doesn't really remember what else was said about their job in Southport, only that it is not going to take them towards Rivendale.
User avatar
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Posts: 633
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:17 pm
Race: Human
Class: Dungeon Master

Re: In the quarters of The Sword of Pelor

Post by NeomerArcana » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:57 pm

Okay, to shorten thinsg up a bit, the group is heading to Southport. The Journey is about 5 days by wagon. The church has equipped you with a wagon, much like Landowes, except this isn't a covered wagon, and a team of two horses to pull it. Aside from the tackle for the horses you've also got a couple of saddles to ride the horses if needed. If you guys want to buy anything you can load it up into the cart (just let me know). The horses aren't named, so feel free to name them.

The Journey will take you through Castlemouth, Lavender, Kraag, Sunnydale, and then Southport. If you want to travel to Clearwater, the best route for the wagon is via Castlemouth, Lavender, Westend, Threerun, Fellton, and then Clearwater. There's no marked trail between Clearwater and Southport, but it's a like place to have a sort of unofficial local road. In any case, the roads are still dangerous, so there's chances that you will run into things along the way.

The next post will be tomorrow some time and I will be resolving the Journey as far as Castlemouth. In the mean time, let me know if there's any final acts or things you want to do before leaving Kalindar.
User avatar
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Posts: 633
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:17 pm
Race: Human
Class: Dungeon Master

Re: In the quarters of The Sword of Pelor

Post by NeomerArcana » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:56 pm

The party leaves in the morning stocked up. You've pooled together some gold and purchased some provisions for the road (everyone subtract 2 gold peices please). There's enough food in the cart to feed the four of you for about 2 weeks. You've also purchased a couple of tents that should come in handy.

The day begins hot, the small creeks flowing strongly with winter melt from the nearby mountains. Autumn has definitely ended and summer has now begun. The horses are well trained and know their jobs, lazily pulling the wagon along. There's plenty of room for you all to ride, with two being able to fit up front on the drivers seat as well. But the pace is lazy so you all take turns stretching your legs. All around you on this stretch of the road are farms and noble-houses, nestled here in the Kalindar Valley, naturally protected by the mountains, the wall, and the castle.

You reach Castlemouth with no events occurring. You spend the night there, some of you keeping an eye out for the strange man that you met on your way through (Arlette and Kull anyway) but you don't see him. The gate has been long since repaired and the traffic is now freely moving.

The group proceeds south from Castlemouth after staying the night, and onward to Lavender. As you make your way into the familiar city you approach the bridge that leads over the water, through the middle of the battlements. Here you are stopped, along with a few others on the road, by a wall of troops. They are kingsmen, soldiers of Kalindar, in a formal and strict line, three men deep, covering the entrance to the bridge. Everyone seems to be mulling around, unsure of what to do. The soldiers are all armed with pike and sword in the front, crossbows at the back, and sword and shield in the centre. One man, clearly their commanding officer, stands in front of them, leaning on a greatsword.
Locked