A loud knock at the door

The first of many adventures to come
User avatar
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Posts: 265
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:17 pm
Race: Human
Class: Dungeon Master

A loud knock at the door

Post by NeomerArcana » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:34 pm

In the late afternoon, once everyone is back at your little building, there is a loud and insistent knock at the door. "HELLO! Open the door! Hello! I must speak with you! It is about Landowe!"
User avatar
Hragg
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:40 pm
Race: Dwarf
Class: Cleric of Clangeddin

Re: A loud knock at the door

Post by Hragg » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:17 pm

"Did someone hang a sign outside to let everyone know who we are and what we do here?" Hragg grumbles. He sets his shield aright on his arm and has his axe ready for trouble. "Arlette, would you open the door?"

The dwarf smiles a bit to himself. They had certainly roused someone by their activity. Hopefully this would be a lead to the dark temple and not another someone to combat...
User avatar
Arlette Craven
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:45 am
Race: Human
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Re: A loud knock at the door

Post by Arlette Craven » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:54 pm

"Word spreads quickly, my friend" Arlette opens the door for the latest visitor, pretty sure that if they had ill intent they would have done similar to the last visitors and entered without notice.
User avatar
Kull
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:17 pm
Race: Half-Orc
Class: 1st lvl figther

Re: A loud knock at the door

Post by Kull » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:32 pm

Kull did not forget what happend last time some one came to their room unanounced and readys himself to fight whoever knocks on the door.
User avatar
Elec
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:19 pm
Race: Half-Elf
Class: 1st-lvl Ranger

Re: A loud knock at the door

Post by Elec » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:01 am

Elec readies his bow and points it at the door, in preperation of a possible attack
User avatar
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Posts: 265
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:17 pm
Race: Human
Class: Dungeon Master

Re: A loud knock at the door

Post by NeomerArcana » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:55 am

Welcome back everyone

A stout man enters with an alarmed look in his eyes. He is dressed in a simple robe made of poor-quality brown cloth, gathered at his ample waist by a simple hempen rope looped into a belt. His is bald, but would have brown/red hair judging by his long beard. He looks around at you all.

"I am Brother Trey," he announces. "The temple just informed me that you were here, asking of Hextor, yes? I have learned that two bodies were stolen from you this morning as well? I take it then that you know of the cult and its evil doings? Do you intend to pursue Arnen to Kalindar, to stop the ritual? I was told that you were on a mission for the Church of Pelor, yes?"

This last question is directed at the two clerics. But otherwise Brother Trey shifts his gaze amongst all of you with each question.
User avatar
Hilda Hearthstone
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:48 pm
Race: Human
Class: 1st-lvl Cleric

Re: A loud knock at the door

Post by Hilda Hearthstone » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:09 pm

"Well, I do not worship Pelor, but yes, we are on a mission of the church of sorts. We know nothing of any rituals though...?" Hilda looks around at the others to see if she's missed something along the way.
User avatar
Arlette Craven
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:45 am
Race: Human
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Re: A loud knock at the door

Post by Arlette Craven » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:16 pm

"Hmm, the ritual..." Arlette looks to the others, This doesn't sound good she thinks but she hates to let on that she didn't know something that having transported bodies she should have. Brown Dog whimpers and lays down next to her.

"Tell us, Brother, its been a long time we've travelled and you would not believe our stories thus far, or perhaps you would, but please, remind us what the ritual entails? I'm a little blurry on the details but I'm sure we were going to stop it."

Sense motive
1d20+7
User avatar
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Posts: 265
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:17 pm
Race: Human
Class: Dungeon Master

Re: A loud knock at the door

Post by NeomerArcana » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:57 am

Arlette as far as you can tell, Brother Trey seems genuine.

Brother Trey looks confused momentarily before continuing. "The ritual! Surely you must have... never mind. There is a cult of Hextor who has been secretly operating in The Three Kingdoms for some decades now. I have been tasked with tracking them down. Arnen was one of them, as well as Landowe. Those bodies that you were escorting to Father Sessop on order of Father Cedril? They are needed to complete the ritual, that's why Arnen took them."

"I know that there unholy temple is in or near the capital. You must go there and stop the ritual. Father Klavin at the Temple of Pelor will believe you, tell him I sent you, that will be enough and he will help you as much as he can."

He looks down at the ground. "You must understand, the Merchants wield too much power, even within the church. I cannot convince the ecclesiastical council to intervene and help my order. They are corrupted by greed."
User avatar
Arlette Craven
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:45 am
Race: Human
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Re: A loud knock at the door

Post by Arlette Craven » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:01 am

"You seem genuine, Brother," she begins, "but so did the others."

"Why is it so bad for the merchants guild to rule? Maybe they should? They have enough finances to bring safe passage to the roads again, I don't see the King doing that? He would let us die horribly with these awful creatures because he is having an argument with the merchants? Why hasn't the King put this apparent rebellion to bed? It seems he has no power so is he an effective King anymore?" Arlette's voice betrays her frustration, so much to and fro over something she doesn't understand, either the King is powerful and rules, or the King isn't and we get a new one, she thinks.

"I am tired of the half-truths; this ritual, what happens if they complete it? Will stopping it save the Kingdom like in the tales we were told as children, or is it a fruitless mission to save two people who mean nothing to me and I may die on the way? What do I get from this? I am not bound to save these bodies anymore, each payment has been pushed further and further out that I do not believe I will be recompensed for my time and risk, and I do not believe anyone would blame us for leaving as we signed up for a simple escort mission that has become so much more." She looks to the others, and then to Brown Dog sitting at her feet.

"Brother, I know you must mean well, a man of the cloth who has come here so earnestly to save these people, but pray, tell me, why should we help?"
Post Reply