The morning at The Sleeping Gnome

The first of many adventures to come
Post Reply
User avatar
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Posts: 321
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:17 pm
Race: Human
Class: Dungeon Master

Re: The morning at The Sleeping Gnome

Post by NeomerArcana » Fri May 24, 2019 9:08 pm

The group passes by a quite a few buildings, still down the same road, before you come across an Inn. This is unusual for you as to date every town has had an Inn on the road just on the edge of town. It's named The Blue Dog, it's a large wooden building, with a small courtyard just off the road where drinkers can watch the passing by of traffic. Like the other Inns you've stayed at, this one also has a locked building for you to store your wagon, but unlike the others, you will be staying in that same building, with the wagon. You've one large room in which the wagon fits, as well as lots of room with beds and curtains arrayed around.

Arlette, you've learned a little more about the rift between the Merchants Guild and the King. Some in the kingdom consider Lavender to be the true capital, and not just of Kalindar but of all the Three Kingdoms, because Lavender is where the Merchant Guild is based. The city features a large fenced-off hill, atop which sits the walled gardens of the Merchant Guild Hall. The hall itself was still open briefly so you've had a good look, a "hall" is an understatement, this is a castle if you've ever seen one, or a palace.

The Merchants are asking the King for lower taxes, whereas the king has increased them. Everyone here in town is clearly on the side of The Merchants Guild. The trouble on the road is just due to the king refusing to patrol the roads, apparently zombies and giant spiders would be far more common were there to never be patrols.

There's not enough daylight left to find a temple or mage tonight. The night in the tavern and a couple other taverns around town tells you nothing about Feradrimlam.

Lavenderv2.PNG
User avatar
Hragg
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:40 pm
Race: Dwarf
Class: Cleric of Clangeddin

Re: The morning at The Sleeping Gnome

Post by Hragg » Fri May 24, 2019 10:52 pm

"Something fishy about this town. I just can't put my finger on it. Let's set up guard shifts for the night. Wedge the door closed and seal the windows." Hragg walks through the room like a general looking for ways to defend the room in case of attack. "Everybody examine this place for secret doors or other means of getting in."

Spot cHeck [1d20+2]
User avatar
Elec
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:19 pm
Race: Half-Elf
Class: 1st-lvl Ranger

Re: The morning at The Sleeping Gnome

Post by Elec » Sat May 25, 2019 2:32 am

"Are you sure you want to...... fine" Elec pauses as he looks at Hragg walk around the room, searching for hidden doors. "I'll can keep the first watch if that makes you feel safer" Elec sighs as he reluctantly get up from his chair and begin to Hragg with finding escape routes or any secret passages.

Spot check
1d20+4
User avatar
Kull
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:17 pm
Race: Half-Orc
Class: 1st lvl figther

Re: The morning at The Sleeping Gnome

Post by Kull » Sat May 25, 2019 2:40 am

Kull doesnt know why hragg is scared but he follows his orders by turning every piece of funiture strenght check (1d20+5 and looks at anything suspicious search check 1d20+1 while doing it he aks hragg: so we are searching here everything because you smelt some fish. You worry to much noone woulddare to attack us. Maybe someone should sleep in the cart tho. If you shouldn't trust someone it should be those guards
User avatar
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Posts: 321
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:17 pm
Race: Human
Class: Dungeon Master

Re: The morning at The Sleeping Gnome

Post by NeomerArcana » Sat May 25, 2019 8:24 am

(Just reference for next time, searching the room would be a Search Check rather than a Spot Check. Easiest way to remember is that Search is something your character is doing on purpose, Spot is a cursory glance and something you do on instinct. In addition, you guys have all the time in the world to search the room completely, so you can all Take 20 on your search checks giving you the best possible result.)

After searching the room completely, aside from the main double doors, through which you entered with the cart, there is also a regular wooden door to the side of it. There is a "hidden" sort of door, a small trapdoor that a man could crawl through, set into one of the walls in an out of sight place. It's difficult to tell if it's an intentionally hidden door, or just a small trapdoor that was once used when this building served a different purpose. It's on the opposite wall to the main doors. There are also shuttered windows, two on each of the other windows. Finally, the latrine falls down into a a box with an outside door for one of the inn-boys to empty each day and not disturb the guests, another possible point of entry.

The cost of the room for all of you is 3gp per day, in total (not 5gp each). It's a little pricey, but you've got your own building with latrine and bath, plus your wagon is right here with you. Apparently for people travelling with wagon or cart, this sort of setup at an inn is the norm for Lavender. Meals are included.

After Kull has satisfactory lifted every piece of furniture to look under it and Hragg has secured the room Arlette returns from her evening around town gathering what information she can.

Based on Hragg's recommendation, you each take turns throughout the night keeping watch. Can everyone please roll and Spot and Listen check for their shift? (I'll leave this open for a little while, after which I'll roll people's checks for them, first to post takes first watch etc).

(Arlette, I forgot to mention but you have made the proper introductions to the thieves guild here. They are very different to your last meeting with a guild, these guys met in the open, at a cafe, and made no real attempt to disguise who or what they were. Seems like thieving is just another part of life in Lavender, a cost of doing business for the merchants here.)
User avatar
Hilda Hearthstone
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:48 pm
Race: Human
Class: 1st-lvl Cleric

Re: The morning at The Sleeping Gnome

Post by Hilda Hearthstone » Sat May 25, 2019 8:27 am

Hilda's Spot and Listen checks for the night.
Spot:1d20+3
Listen:1d20+3
User avatar
Elec
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:19 pm
Race: Half-Elf
Class: 1st-lvl Ranger

Re: The morning at The Sleeping Gnome

Post by Elec » Sat May 25, 2019 6:02 pm

Elec spot and listen check

Spot check
1d20+4

Listen check
1d20+4
User avatar
Arlette Craven
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:45 am
Race: Human
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Re: The morning at The Sleeping Gnome

Post by Arlette Craven » Sat May 25, 2019 7:37 pm

Spot check
1d20+5

Listen check
1d20+6
User avatar
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Posts: 321
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:17 pm
Race: Human
Class: Dungeon Master

Re: The morning at The Sleeping Gnome

Post by NeomerArcana » Sat May 25, 2019 8:05 pm

Hilda and Elec your shifts pass by uneventfully.

Arlette halfway through your shift you hear the sounds of the last few patrons leaving The Blue Dog. You hear one man relieving himself outside, then some shuffling, followed by the sound of him hitting the dirt and snoring. After a few minutes he awakes, grunts and starts walking away again, but not before you hear the distinctive sound of coins falling as he gets up.

Hragg and Kull your night shift rolls please.
User avatar
Arlette Craven
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:45 am
Race: Human
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Re: The morning at The Sleeping Gnome

Post by Arlette Craven » Sat May 25, 2019 8:26 pm

Arlette peeks out to see what has fallen from the pockets of the drunk.

Search check
1d20+6

She shakes her head, "drunks, wasting their lives and for what, another ale?"
Last edited by Arlette Craven on Sun May 26, 2019 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply