A Test of Strength!

The first of many adventures to come
User avatar
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Posts: 223
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:17 pm
Race: Human
Class: Dungeon Master

A Test of Strength!

Post by NeomerArcana » Wed May 15, 2019 9:31 am

A couple of drinks at the Inn and it looks like it time for a test of Strength! Those of you who are interested boast about your ability to fight and wrestle, it just so happens that tonight there is another impromptu wrestling match at the Inn!

This thread will continue while the main-game thread continues on. This can be considered the events of the night.

A burly looking dwarf steps up onto a table and raises his hands, calling for attention. All voices hush, the music stops, all eyes upon him.

"HhhhhooOOOOOO!" he shouts to a raucous cheer. "IT'S TIME TO WRESTLE!"

With this he motions to the centre of the public room where people step forward dragging chairs and a couple of surprised patrons out of the way.

"The rules are simple!" he declares, pointing down at a white circle on the floor, about 10 feet in diameter. "Two contestants enter the circle. The first one driven out, or held down for 10 seconds loses his coin. Last man standing is the winner! Entry is three pieces of gold! COME ON!"

After the cheering again dies down. "Remember, no weapons!" a few people look toward and smiling gnome. "No MAGIC!" everyone hisses and jeers at that. "NO PUNCHING! This is a wrestling match!"

Okay guys; let me know if you're interested in taking part. The rules work like this, you need to drive your opponent out of the circle, or hold them down for two consecutive rounds. No punching/kicking is allowed, no magic, no weapons. What this means is you're basically doing Grappling, though things like Bluff and Intimidation could be used as well as things like Tumble to get around them. You will roll for initiative to see who gets the first action.

So, if you're competing, step forward and roll your initiative for the competition (determining for every match who will go first). The contestants who have already stepped forward include:
  1. Kraagmar - a large half-orc woman, more orc than human 1d20
  2. Reithic Urgak - the dwarf who called out for the wrestling match 1d20
  3. Joff Heraldson - a tall human man who beats his chest like a drum when he steps forward 1d20
User avatar
Arlette Craven
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:45 am
Race: Human
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Re: A Test of Strength!

Post by Arlette Craven » Wed May 15, 2019 9:49 am

Arlette, always keen to practice her fighting skills in a relatively safe way, steps up.

Initiative
1d20+2
User avatar
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Posts: 223
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:17 pm
Race: Human
Class: Dungeon Master

Re: A Test of Strength!

Post by NeomerArcana » Wed May 15, 2019 10:01 am

Arlette, you're the first contestant! You are fighting:1d3
User avatar
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Posts: 223
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:17 pm
Race: Human
Class: Dungeon Master

Re: A Test of Strength!

Post by NeomerArcana » Wed May 15, 2019 10:04 am

"Joff Heraldson! STEP INTO THE RING!"

Arlette, you have the lowest initiative roll, so Joff gets the first move. He sways a little on the spot before coming straight at you in a Bull Rush, feet beating against the wooden floor! You need to make a Strength check (roll 1d20 + your STR modifier). If Joff's roll here beats yours by 5 points or more, he has successfully thrown you out of the ring!
1d20
User avatar
Arlette Craven
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:45 am
Race: Human
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Re: A Test of Strength!

Post by Arlette Craven » Wed May 15, 2019 11:10 am

1d20+2

DM Can she do a tumble to avoid his charge?
User avatar
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Posts: 223
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:17 pm
Race: Human
Class: Dungeon Master

Re: A Test of Strength!

Post by NeomerArcana » Wed May 15, 2019 11:24 am

Arlette you can make an unarmed attack roll to try and land a blow as he comes into you with the bull-rush (attack of opportunity), but you don't get to make any reflex saves or tumble checks. (Tumble check is when you initiate the action as opposed to reacting to someone else's action. Unfortunately there's no way to avoid a bull-rush except via the opposed Strength Check).

If you land the blow, you will hurt him. You have the potential to knock him out on this Attack of Opportunity, which would make you the winner. (Your unarmed strike is 1d20+2 and the damage is 1d3+2)
User avatar
Arlette Craven
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:45 am
Race: Human
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Re: A Test of Strength!

Post by Arlette Craven » Wed May 15, 2019 11:28 am

Arlette tries to catch the rushing mass of muscles in her bent elbow

Unarmed strike
1d20+2

Damage
1d3+2
User avatar
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Posts: 223
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:17 pm
Race: Human
Class: Dungeon Master

Re: A Test of Strength!

Post by NeomerArcana » Wed May 15, 2019 11:30 am

Arlette, you have been knocked out of the ring. Joff roars in victory before offering you a hand up.

Everyone cheers and awaits the next contender!
User avatar
Arlette Craven
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:45 am
Race: Human
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Re: A Test of Strength!

Post by Arlette Craven » Wed May 15, 2019 11:34 am

Arlette takes Joffs hand and gets up, pats him on the back for his victory and returns to her companions shaking her head.
User avatar
Elec
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:19 pm
Race: Half-Elf
Class: 1st-lvl Ranger

Re: A Test of Strength!

Post by Elec » Wed May 15, 2019 11:56 pm

Elec watches with mild interest as Arlette entered the ring, ale in hand "this could be interesting" he thought to himself as he watches the fight. A few moment later, be it the atmosphere or the alcohol, he was completely invested in the fight and as Arlette gets knocked out of the ring, for the first time in his life, he shouts from the crowd, I'll go. As he heads up to the ring.

Initiative
1d20+3
Post Reply