Into the Swamp

User avatar
Celaena
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:20 pm
Race: Select
Class:

Re: Into the Swamp

Post by Celaena » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:57 pm

Celaena pets her wolf as her other hand idly fiddles with her talisman, waiting to see what the dragon will do with the cultist.
User avatar
Kull
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:17 pm
Race: Half-Orc
Class: 1st lvl figther

Re: Into the Swamp

Post by Kull » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:37 am

Kull shrugs" I guess we can come back later and take the scraps" He points at Celaena. "You and you pet better come with us before the dragon trys to get a taste of you. And you have some explaining to do, but i guess that can wait till we get back". He marches off while glancing back at the dragon time to time.
While Kull has learnd that sheer power and brutality can solve a lot of problems the way the dragon acted is even for him unessary and spitefull, as there is no use in killing a defenseless harmless foe. The behavoir of the dragon is something Kull dislikes even more than unessary violence is its behavoir. Kull grew up learning that for deeds as freeing someone from unjust imprisoment or saving a life is repaid in gratitude and an honor dept.
The dragon however acted like a child that got freed from a well acting more entiteld than most kings.
User avatar
Arlette Craven
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:45 am
Race: Human
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Re: Into the Swamp

Post by Arlette Craven » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:40 am

From her vantage point Arlette is briefly awestruck by the size and power of the dragon however as the scene begins to unfold she turns to Ludo in a hushed tone, "We should go, the lizards are talking and I don't know if that little one can make happy that big one." She briefly scans down to Kull and Grigori, "we're too far to be of any help, let us hope they make the same decision to leave while the lizard plays with it's catch." With that she begins tugging at Ludos arm to pull him along with her, heading for the cart If the others don't make it, at least we will have a horse we can escape on she thinks, her eyes flicking back towards the bowl with concern, she is terribly fond of Kull and Grigori.
User avatar
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Posts: 633
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:17 pm
Race: Human
Class: Dungeon Master

Re: Into the Swamp

Post by NeomerArcana » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:06 am

The dragon looks at Kulls meager pile of coins and begins to pick up the cultists body as most of you walk away.

(Celaena, as a Druid I'm going to say that you would know better than to stay around here. The Dragon will very likely kill you. To move things along, I'm just going to keep you with the group)

You all meet up again at Wikks cart. Here, you can all find your way out of the swamp, but there is another way out that will take you to the north of the swamp, the way Wikk came (there's no way he'll be able to get his cart through the way the rest of the party arrived).

The group needs to make some decisions now. The cultists are killed, but none of you seem to have any way to detect if the taint is gone. You do have a Druid with you, she could likely "commune" with nature for a little while to be sure you've succeeded before you all leave; but hanging around to wait probably isn't a very good idea. She won't be able to commune with nature if you leave, she wouldn't get the information she needs.

Kai and Janice are still with you, as well as the last two bandits.
User avatar
Arlette Craven
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:45 am
Race: Human
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Re: Into the Swamp

Post by Arlette Craven » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:58 pm

"Good to see you all alive!" Arlette rushes to her friends as they arrive back at Wikks cart, hugging them one by one; she attempts to squeeze Kull as hard as she can, she can't even get her arms much around Grigori's broad frame, she scoops up Wikk, kisses him on the cheek and twirls him around quietly saying thank you, she briefly hesitates at Celaena seeing the wolf but swoops forward anyway for another hug. After hugs all around she settles back against Wikk's cart with Janice petting Brown Dog and Brun.

"What an adventure! I don't know about you lot but I think we need to get out of here as soon as possible. I assume the darkness is gone if we've finished the cult and the dragon is free. If we head back to town to the orphanage, get a hot meal, some drinks, some songs, and keep a watch through the night we can see if things are better? Then maybe we can look to the sickness in the town. Whatever we decide, we must do it quickly, I can't help but feel we were fortunate to make it through this encounter" she looks to Wikk as she says the last part, grateful that he was able to speak with the dragon and very aware that without him they would have been dead before they ever really made it into the swamp.
User avatar
Grigori Steelbrow
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:06 am
Race: Dwarf
Class: 1st-lvl fighter

Re: Into the Swamp

Post by Grigori Steelbrow » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:24 pm

Grigori finally feels a touch more pep in his step hoping that his blight has passed.

In response to Arlette's sudden show of camaraderie, he returns a confused yet polite pat on the back and with a puzzled tone mutters,"Oooo-kay then, thank you for yer concern."

Grigori then gathers himself and turns to the rest of the group before continuing,"with the current events and the two new allies, so I hope, resources and accommodations may become a challenge. I will try to persuade the orphanage to permit extra protection for our stay but I wouldn't count too much on it. As for what Arlette suggested, I agree we best return to town and monitor from there; we'll be better supplied, more prepared for defense if necessary, and we can warn them of the dragon nearby."

Lastly he turns to the ex-bandits before grumbling,"And for Pelor's sake, bathe yourselves the minute we're in town and clean your clothing. We'll gather for a meal to discuss things further."
User avatar
Wikk Slyscale
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:39 pm
Race: Kobold
Class: 2nd Level Wizard

Re: Into the Swamp

Post by Wikk Slyscale » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:05 pm

Upon his return to his cart, Wikk will heave a sigh of relief, "By my scales, that was much too close." He would give his property a once-over in time for the others to return. He'll indicate the path he came in from with a gesture and begin to speak when Arlette scoops him off his clawed feet and presses her lips to his scaly cheek. He's twirled about, thanked softly and set down again before she moves on to the others. He would stand still and blink confusedly; had he not spoken up he would have been destroyed as well.

The little dragon will listen to the others before explaining the route he took to enter the swamp. He'll add at the mention of housing and supplies, "I can manage my own accommodations, though I'm not certain I would even be welcome in town. It's rather queer that you lot haven't taken any issue with my being a dragon. As for continuing any adventuring with you all, I am not certain our paths are convergent. I am seeking arcane knowledge in order to ascend wholly into the skies. I can scarcely afford distractions that may very well cost me my life." He folds his arms over his chest as he walks over to his beast of burden and gives the stalwart pony a once over. Thinking on their would-be heroism, they would surely benefit from someone knowledgeable about the arcane, "The realm has not been kind to me nor my people. I cannot stray from my quest merely to aid those who would shun or outright slay me and mine." He leaves the thought there unfinished, as though inviting a change of opinion.
User avatar
Celaena
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:20 pm
Race: Select
Class:

Re: Into the Swamp

Post by Celaena » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:37 pm

Celaena stands stiff as Arlette hugs her, the moment she is released she turns to pet her wolf in an attempt to hide her awkwardness. "I can't leave until I am absolutely sure the taint is gone. But thank you for your help, I will be happy to repay this favor later"

She tuns to Kull and tilts her head "You said I had explaining to do?"
User avatar
Arlette Craven
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:45 am
Race: Human
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Re: Into the Swamp

Post by Arlette Craven » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:54 am

"Oh Wikk, a talking lizard is nothing compared to what we have seen," Arlette turns to Kull, "Remember those foul skeletons that chased us? And those giant spiders that started this whole mess? And what about those statues that came to life and almost killed us?!" Arlette chuckles nervously realising for a moment that she has been much to close to death too often on these adventures. "In all seriousness, you are a fine dragon my new friend and I'm sure we can find a way to sneak you into town with us for the night to rest and eat, recover from this and in the morning we can see if our journeys align." She turns to Grigori,"Grigori, the old lady at the orphanage was a strange one, I believe she is far older than we realise. I think she may be willing to help our unusual friend take shelter for the night, what do you think?"

Lastly she turns to Caleana, "we will be able to tell if the taint is still around from the city where we will be safer if it is still here. You can stay here in the swamp but I fear for your safety even our tracker packed up her belongings and left, please come with us."
User avatar
Grigori Steelbrow
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:06 am
Race: Dwarf
Class: 1st-lvl fighter

Re: Into the Swamp

Post by Grigori Steelbrow » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:21 pm

"You make a good point Arlette. I'm sure she'd be pleased to help, especially if we mention how Wikk kept us from being a dragon's afternoon snack. That little tidbit would certainly have some sway with the guards as well."

Grigori turns to Kull,"What are your thoughts on the matter? Failing all else he's quite the spectacle with all that glimmering he does, so as rude as it may be we could try to bring him with us as a prize we fancied." Grigori shrugs slowly and apologetically, only half realizing how offensive that statement may be.
Post Reply