Into the Swamp

Wikk Slyscale
Race: Kobold
Class: 2nd Level Wizard

Re: Into the Swamp

Post by Wikk Slyscale » Sun May 03, 2020 11:33 am

( Ah! I missed Arlette's mention of asking Wikk about who the plain one likely is. If there's a roll you'd like for that, DM lemme know. For now Wikk and I are under the same assumption as she. )

Wikk folds his arms over his chest as he listens to Arlette; the number of casters present is worrisome though as far as he recalls most of them should be acolytes with limited magical capabilities if the Temple of Kurtulmak can be taken as a standard. At the queries posed to him he'll first nod his accord, "Yes, I would believe the least adorned fellow would stand out as plain to the Elder behind us. However, he is very likely the most powerful of their group. If he is slain then the Elder will come seeking tithe from us," he adds in a lower voice, "At the very least."

Looking up at Kull he will reply, "I can make a sound, but while this Plain One yet lives he will know that the Elder is still bound where we found him. I'm afraid I will not be particularly convincing. I'm also not wholly confident that we'll be parting from this swamp with all of our coin. I would sooner run the risk of the tithe though if I'm being honest."

He steps over to the ledge, fashioning himself a mount out of a pair of rocks to rest his crossbow, "I'll fire from up here and support your push inwards. I do believe time is of the essence, so if you're all going to make a move I would encourage we do so the moment you're all ready."
Arlette Craven
Race: Human
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Post by Arlette Craven » Mon May 04, 2020 9:46 am

Arlette listens to everyone's ideas before speaking up.

"Friends, the way I see it we have a few options, none seem to end particularly well for any of us.
1. We run away and perhaps return tomorrow with more men, though I'm not sure who would be willing to come into the swamp and enter the lair of a dragon and a cult;
2. We kill the plain one first and then the others, but the dragon will probably come and kill us afterwards, he said as much to you Kull;
3. We kill the plain one from afar, no doubt the dragon after being freed will come to kill the rest, and us, but if we hang back and let the melee play out perhaps we will be strong enough to kill whoever remains, dragon or cultists;
4. We kill the plain one last or take him hostage so the dragon cannot kill us, however the dragon will probably never forget that and we will have to deal with the plain one at some point, somehow, and I'm not sure about you but I don't want a dragon thinking about me..."

She pauses, takes a deep breath, "I think we should kill the plain one from afar, hidden, and let the melee ensue and see what we get at the end, but I will do what the group thinks is best." She looks to each member for their response.
Grigori Steelbrow
Race: Dwarf
Class: 1st-lvl fighter

Post by Grigori Steelbrow » Mon May 04, 2020 11:18 pm

Grigori, carefully considering everyone's words, finally chimes in with, "I'm quite partial to going in and knocking them all down, but Arlette has a point. We may be better off observing a melee than being worn out if that big lizard comes back. Should we fail at maintaining distance though we ought to finish things quickly."
Wikk Slyscale

Post by Wikk Slyscale » Tue May 05, 2020 5:36 am

Wikk shifts him aim towards the plain one as he listens, adding in reply, "As far as I am aware, dragons are not above taking tithe when they smell a heavy purse. He may very literally meant he intends to take Kull's money. As for fighting such an old dragon... You can count me out. That wouldn't be a fight but a slaughter. My crossbow has no chance of getting through scales that thick nor do any of your weapons."
Kull
Race: Half-Orc
Class: 1st lvl figther

Post by Kull » Tue May 05, 2020 9:21 am

"Hmm you might be right." Kull takes a few coins from his purse and tosses the rest to Arlette. "Lets say its a tempoary gift. I dont want it all get taken by a giant lizzard." He grabs his axe and nods to the others. "I guess we are doing this." He points at Arlette, Ludo and Wikk. "I guess its your turn now."
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Class: Dungeon Master

Post by NeomerArcana » Tue May 05, 2020 10:30 am

(Wikk just FYI, you guys are all back at the fork in the road, not up at the bowl on the edge.
Arlette Craven

Post by Arlette Craven » Tue May 05, 2020 7:51 pm

Arlette considers everyone's words "We're running out of time, I say we go, take out the plain one from afar, then when the dragon comes we will fight to help it! I don't want to kill a dragon. We will destroy the others in the hope that Wikk can bargain with the dragon for our lives. There were a lot of gold and jewels down there, perhaps that will please the dragon enough to let us pass out of it's swamp after we have destroyed the cult."

"Wikk you look ready to take the shot, I think you should try for the plain one, it may also put you in better favour with the dragon if you were the one to free it."
Grigori Steelbrow
Race: Dwarf
Class: 1st-lvl fighter

Post by Grigori Steelbrow » Tue May 05, 2020 8:35 pm

"Well, clocks ticking, let's knock 'em down!" Grigori poises himself in a combat stance with his axe in his right and shield in his left, both at the ready if a charge is necessary.
Wikk Slyscale

Post by Wikk Slyscale » Wed May 06, 2020 5:35 am

(Oh, haha! My mistake, DM! Lemme know if that doesn't work for ya!)

Once the group has moved up from the road and Wikk has set up properly at the edge of the bowl he will receive Arlette's instruction with a nod and take several moments to line up the shot, judging for distance and airflow before squeezing the trigger on his crossbow.

Rolling for Attack
1d20+6

Rolling for Damage if it hits
1d6
Arlette Craven

Post by Arlette Craven » Wed May 06, 2020 11:01 am

Arlette speaks quickly to Grigori and Kull, "Go around the back, we will draw the fire from the front and that will hopefully give you a chance to attack from the rear."

Arlette will be poised to take a shot with her crossbow after Wikk at the plain one, "Ludo, do the same, we must take the plain one out!"

Arlette will try to move silently and hide as needed to get to the position at 9,18 or thereabouts DM change as necessary, and take her shot from there.

move silently check
1d20+6

hide check
1d20+6

To hit
1d20+4

Damage
1d8+1
Last edited by Arlette Craven on Fri May 08, 2020 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.