Into the Swamp

Wikk Slyscale
Race: Kobold
Class: 2nd Level Wizard

Re: Into the Swamp

Post by Wikk Slyscale » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:39 am

In that moment the little dragon's knees go weak and the voice of his mentor, Skrikk ebbs into his awareness, "We are the blood of the dragon, to fear is natural even for us; look to your blood in times of crisis and steel yourself. Should you face death, stare it in the eye and laugh - do not falter!"

Greyscale, laughter would be horribly inappropriate here, but I grasp your sentiment. Wikk takes a deep breath in through his nostrils, lowers his book to his chest as his lungs fill, and exhales slowly through his minute maw. Okay. Be brave. You are the blood of the dragon.

He nods up at the great beast and replies in their tongue, "I appreciate your consideration. I've only met these fine folks, allow me a moment to consult with them and see if they bear the symbol you require of us." Turning with careful and measured steps he offers a big smile up at the adventurers and informs them in the common tongue, "Worshippers of Kurtulmak such as I aren't welcome evidently. He wishes to see a symbol or he'll destroy us. You all wouldn't happen to know what symbol he means, would you?" As he asks he runs through his studies and what tales he's heard of - desperately seeking an answer if they lack it. He'll flip open his book and divine the Detect Magic spell, applying it to his eyes and turning them starkly white. As he listens for their reply he'll sweep his head left and right, searching for any particular aura of magic that seems out of place; daring even to glance back at his elder in the event he has been ensnared in some ritual enchantment. He braces himself for the enormous magical presence his elder will bear.

1d20

( I've added a roll to indicate his inward search for anything regarding the symbol. For Arcana it would be +8, Local is +4, Planes is +4 - wasn't sure which was most appropriate here. )
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Race: Human
Class: Dungeon Master

Post by NeomerArcana » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:39 pm

Wikk you cannot recall any symbol that would hold significant meaning for this dragon.
Arlette Craven
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Post by Arlette Craven » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:56 pm

Arlette looks from Wikk to the other members of the party, "it's the cult, it's Hextor, it has to be. Grigori, what was the symbol, can you draw it on the ground?"
Kull
Race: Half-Orc
Class: 1st lvl figther

Post by Kull » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:50 pm

Kull hastly chimes in "i dont know if we really should show it the symbol of an evil cult. Does anyone know how those things stand to gods like pelor ?" Kull stops for a second then with almost a smile beings to speak again"If its related to the lizard dragon perhaps we could win its favor by giving it a gift. I heard storys that dragons and such like gold. Or we could try to offer it some food. What do you think Wikk you should know better than any of us". While Kull waits for the response of Wikk he
grabs his axe unsure what to do. If things would take he turn for the worse maybe he could stop it long enough to give the rest a chance to escape.
Wikk Slyscale

Post by Wikk Slyscale » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:04 am

Wikk's internal searching proves fruitless and so he nods up at Arlette and again at Grigori, "As a chromatic dragon, the elder behind me may very well be in league with this cult you're speaking of. Show me the symbol, Grigori and I'll present it to him. Do understand however, if this is not what he seeks we will likely all perish." Turning his attention briefly to Kull he explains in answer, "Dragons do enjoy their hoards, yes, but what this elder is seeking is a particular symbol, likely as proof of our belonging here. I've already offered trinkets, tales and spells. As for a dalliance with those above, our actions won't be enough to provoke sacrilege so fret not, big fellow."
Grigori Steelbrow
Race: Dwarf
Class: 1st-lvl fighter

Post by Grigori Steelbrow » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:29 am

Grigori wracks his brain trying to recall the symbol, "Arlette, do you remember the symbol that Fenner recognized when we were attacked in the church? I remember arms, arranged like a spider? All upwards? Downward? That doesn't seem right..."

Grigori continues muttering, hoping someone else recalls it a little more clearly.
Arlette Craven
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Post by Arlette Craven » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:13 am

"Kull I know your trepidation, but there is a darkness coming from the swamp, we've been sent here to find other cult members, I feel confident this beast is to stop those who don't know from entering. We must enter."

Arlette turns to Grigori, "I memorised it, I would recognise it anywhere after what we've been through." she crouches down and draws the symbol of Hextor into the ground. She looks to Wikk, "this, I believe he wants this."
Wikk Slyscale

Post by Wikk Slyscale » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:40 am

Wikk waits patiently for the rendition to be complete and once it is he studies it very closely. Once satisfied with his understanding of it, running a brightly scaled claw over the religious mark he then turns towards the dragon and casts it up in the air over their heads with Prestidigitation, creating a small glass ornament in the shape depicted in the dirt, "I believe this is the symbol you seek, Great Elder."
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Class: Dungeon Master

Post by NeomerArcana » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:20 am

The dragon blows hot air from its nostrils in apparent acceptance. "Yes, you show the symbol little one, but still you do not belong here. Nethertheless, I have completed my task. You may proceed."

With that the beast turns and begins back toward the water. Before reaching the depths, it says over its shoulder: "Take the left path. Strike down the plain one down first, he is your biggest threat, and it will set me free. It is your only chance. But then I am coming for you all, for you coins."

Those last words is speaks in common, through a voice thick with evil and wickedness. Kull the comment about coins is directed to you, somehow, it smiles at you when it says it. A truly horrifying smile.

(I'll assume the group continues)

Up ahead, the "path", if you can call it that, branches into two. One path to the left seems to rise, while the one on the right stays level.
Wikk Slyscale

Post by Wikk Slyscale » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:22 am

The gust of hot air washes over Wikk's prismatic scales and in its wake the smaller of the two dragons is left with as many questions as there are colors upon his body. The dragon's choice of words and his promise down the road... He opts to quiet himself and rely on his own investigative skills to unveil what magics lie ahead. He'll bow deeply as the dragon returns to his rest, waiting until the party begins to pass him by before following in their tracks.

When they reach the fork he'll politely remind the party of the dragon's words and ask, "Shall we trust the dragon and take the left hand path?"