Into the Swamp

Wikk Slyscale
Race: Kobold
Class: 2nd Level Wizard

Re: Into the Swamp

Post by Wikk Slyscale » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:44 am

The little voice inside issues a tiny whine of distress and picks up a defensive device of his own, "Friends aren't easily made nor found in these parts. I'm fine with talking, but let's figure out what is wanted first yes? I'm called Wikk. I'm a traveling merchant researching dragons. I have potable water to share if you're short on such, though I've planned my rations around a single consumer so I will be in a tough spot were I to spare what little I have."
Ludo Fritzwick
Race: Gnome
Class: 2nd-level Bard

Post by Ludo Fritzwick » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:23 am

Ludo pushes up behind Arlette, he knows he cannot offer much support, but couldn't in good conscience let her approach this carriage unsupported.

As Wikk introduces themselves, Ludo returns the favour with a bow, "And I am Ludo, and researching dragons sounds fun. I know a few songs and stories about them, but I have yet to see one with my own eyes. Having said that, I have never met anyone such as yourself with my own eyes either. Where have you come from not-quite-yet-but-potential-friend, and where can we find the dragons you're after? Perhaps we can help you, although you may have to help us with our issue here first, but for an esteemed researcher such as yourself, perhaps our problems are trivial and you can make light work of it!"

The fact that Ludo has begun to ramble and rant is entirely lost to him.
Arlette Craven
Race: Human
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Post by Arlette Craven » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:37 pm

Arlette lowers her crossbow and rolls her eyes as Ludo, once again, rambles, at least he could make it a song or something, she thinks to herself. When Ludo pauses to draw breath Arlette butts in, "Come now, friend Wikk, whilst I would love for us to chatter some more, we need to be on the move, would you care to join us? I can not guarantee your safety," she leans closer as if to speak to Wikk without the others hearing but ensuring she speaks loud enough for all to hear, "but I'd stick close to those big guys, this little one will only write a song of your death!" She laughs hard and slaps Ludo on the shoulder.

"Let's move on, we can acquaint on the way if you wish to join us, but we have work to be done." Arlette calls for Burn and Brown Dog to go on and then looks to Grigori and Kull in case they wished to add anything before moving on.
Wikk Slyscale

Post by Wikk Slyscale » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:25 pm

The sound of water splashing and wet footsteps within the wagon herald the silky rasp of a robe being drawn. The back doors of the wagon open wide to reveal a petite lizard of two and a half feet whose scales catch the light of the sun and produce a myriad of colors in reply. In his right hand is a light crossbow, on his right hip is a leather-bound tome with arcane scripture drawn over its binding, "I imagine your surprise will be complete then, when I tell you that today you are in the company of a dragon." He puffs his chest out proudly, his prismatic-scale lined wings extending behind him to flap regally. His bright eyes search the gathering for any signs of hostility at this revelation, his right index lain over the trigger of the loaded crossbow aimed down at his feet for the moment.

"I would welcome pleasant company, if stealth is not a concern of yours I welcome any of you to join me in the wagon, cramped as it would be for your larger companions." The wagon being a full-sized vehicle serves just as well as a house for the little lizard. Were they to inspect the interior from their positions they would find it equipped with nearly all of the materials necessary to complete an alchemical lab. Additionally, the decorations outside are continued within, small, shiny but admittedly worthless gems inlaid in skulls and other such ornaments around the upper walls. The source of the sounds of water had been from a barrel that had filled a pot set on the floor beside it. Evidenced by a bit of extra shine, it is likely that the small dragon had been bathing.

He looks to Ludo who had been mentioned as a songwriter, "I come from the Worldmouth, reared in the sacred temple of Kurtulmak. The dragon I seek is within my own blood. I will one day grow into something truly magnificent. What is it the lot of you are after," he invites them in, moving back through the wagon to sit on the front bench as his Unseen Servant begins saddling and harnessing the pony.
Kull
Race: Half-Orc
Class: 1st lvl figther

Post by Kull » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:57 pm

Kull breaks through the underbrush with a look of dissatifaction. "I guess there was no trap. I guess ill have to wash my clothes for nothing." As he sees the Lizard like creature he has a look of confusion on his face. "hm Ludo i thought the one small volk there is are gnomes. Are there dragon gnomes as well?" He reaches his hand to Wikk and offers a handshake. "My name is Kull. How come you dare to travvel alone? We have heard of a curse or sickness in this swap which apparently also affect the city we came from. You look like the sort of guy who could know about this stuff." Kull points at the wierd book Wikk had held.
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Class: Dungeon Master

Post by NeomerArcana » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:56 pm

Okay all; we'll proceed now.

Arlette and Janice hurry everyone along as the follow the trail. Wikk, the rest of the party needed to keep their horses back in town due to the terrain here, so it's a little odd to have a wagon about; for now, it's stuck in the mud, you did well to get it this far in, but it won't be able to go any further. It should be safe here until you return, the pull to the taint here in the swamp teases you with possible power and magics to learn.

Eventually you all start to notice that the sounds of birds, water splashes, frogs, crickets etc has died down. The water here has turned a dirtier colour than what you've seen before in the swamp. You pass many more dead trees and growth as well.

All of a sudden there is a great crashing and what at first appeared to be nothing but a small island in still water off to the side of your trail begins to move. It is a large serpent-like creature, with an almost skeletal head. It's walks onto the trail in front of you about 60 feet away, swinging it's head on it's long neck watching each of you. It is black, and slick with the grime from the swamp, trails of water-plants drag behind it.

To your absolute shock, it speaks. You cannot understand it, but it is clearly language. Burn starts flapping uncontrollably and perches itself on Janices backpack. Brown Dog wimpers.

Wikk is the only one of you that understands that language: "Who has come...? Show the symbol!"
Wikk Slyscale

Post by Wikk Slyscale » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:18 am

To answer Kull's query, Wikk shrugs his shoulders as his cart refuses to move a meter more, "With magic to augment my needs where I am lacking my journey has been rather easy 'til now. As far as what ails the people of this place, I would wager Necromancy of some variety if the cause is magical in nature. The school of Death magic also includes disease and ailments of a great many form. I suspect that my search for new magic will likely cross paths with your endeavor so I shall offer what aid I can 'til our tasks are mutually accomplished."

Leaving his mobile home behind would make for quite the fuss from the little dragon. Fortunately, his current objective lies within this very swamp and so he would join the party of adventurers, resolving to return to his wagon once they've all reached an amicable end to their time here.

Being one of the least observant, he would likely be the last to notice the rippling of the water nor the shifting of the supposed landmass until its great and long neck rises from beneath the swamp. Faced with a query in a tongue he has missed quite dearly, his heart swells and thunders - it is a rarity to come across greater wyrms and those of the truest blood and form deserve reverence. He hurries to the front of the group, firmly but concernedly directing them to bow their heads as he pulls his tome from his hip and flips it open to a page depicting the symbol of Kurtulmak. Raising the tome over his head with both hands he belts his reply in draconic from deep in his diaphragm as loudly and proudly as he can, "Pray forgive if we have disturbed your slumber - I am Wikk the Slyscale of the Worldmouth Warren. I come seeking knowledge and power to grow into a dragon as great as yourself - I bring with me trinkets of my tribe and what arcane knowledge and stories of the land I may share. These behind me are adventurers seeking the source of what ails this place and the people who live beyond its bounds. Might we know your name and what you may wish in exchange for your time and assistance if you would offer it?"
Grigori Steelbrow
Race: Dwarf
Class: 1st-lvl fighter

Post by Grigori Steelbrow » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:25 pm

Grigori, already puzzled by the amicable and shiny kobold, is further befuddled and concerned by the serpent. In response he readies his shield and has a hand hovering over his axe, though he's not entirely convinced of either of the scaled beings' disposition.

Having never seen such a creature, let alone seeing one speak, and upon observing the mannerisms of the two Grigori asks,"Arlette? Is that new lad speaking to the serpent?"
Arlette Craven
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Post by Arlette Craven » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:44 pm

Arlette turns to Grigori and replies in a hushed tone "Of course it is, it's a talking lizard talking to a giant lizard, I don't have time to even comprehend this, or where this small talking lizard even came from, I know of familiars but what wizard died and left him all alone?" She looks at Wikk worryingly, but her eyes move up to the serpent and she is struck by a terrifying thought "is that his wizard?!"

She refocuses, "No, surely not, I am sure this is some magic of the cult. Our small lizard friend can talk to it, maybe he can learn more for us.... if he doesn't get us eaten by it." Arlette places her hands on her crossbow as she feels her uneasiness intensify.
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Class: Dungeon Master

Post by NeomerArcana » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:04 pm

The beast arches its head back a little upon hearing Wikk speak, perhaps it wasn't expecting to be answered? It replies in the same strange language that only Wikk understands.

"You worship Kurtulmak, little one?" it says with a sinister undertone. "You are not welcome here, but I give you one more chance out of kinship. Show me the symbol, or die."

With that last word, it lowers it's head menacingly. You are all struck by it's size and clear power. There's is almost no hope that you will survive a fight with it.