Into the Swamp

Post Reply
User avatar
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Posts: 633
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:17 pm
Race: Human
Class: Dungeon Master

Into the Swamp

Post by NeomerArcana » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:46 pm

The party takes off while it is still early morning. As usual, Kull is in the lead, with Arlette following close behind, chatting with Janice while they study the map. Kai leads the 3 prisoners as Grigory takes up the rear. Moving around and talking hapily to anyone is Ludo with Burn and Brown Dog moving around the group as well. The nameless horses have been left in Southport considering the terrain you're entering.

You stay to a sort of path for the majority of the morning, something akin to a game-trail, but it's hard to imagine that there is much game here. Judging by the meals served the last few days, it seems that most of the food in Southport comes from the sea... even some of the vegetables. Still, you all did note the interesting method of farming that you saw around the city, sort of built-up mounds of earth from which haphazard vegetables grew, spaced around here and there. A lack of fences was an interesting thing to note, but when you consider the animals that live in the swamp, you figure they've no need to keep animals away; they wouldn't be interested in vegetables.

As the group continues deeper into the swamp, it seems to get darker, though when you look up, there's no clouds. The swamp is becoming thicker with vegetation now, vines tangle across the path, making it difficult to keep the early morning pace. While moving through these vines, one of the prisoners shouts out. A snake has bitten him and slithers away.

He begins to cry and panic, the other two seem shocked more than concerned and look around for more snakes. You all feel suddenly exposed here in the wilds. This place is more dangerous than any other terrain your group has travelled so far... one of the few untamed areas of The Three Kingdoms that remains, aside from the central Ganther Plains of course.

Blood seeps from his two puncture wounds, but he otherwise seems fine, once he's calmed down. He takes a piece of cloth torn from his pants leg and ties it around the wound, very practical. You all notice that you haven't kept the best care of the prisoners... they are unwashed and dirty.

After another 30 minutes of travel the trail starts to become very faint. How the tracker woman ever managed to find her way around these swamps is a wonder.

Everyone please make a Survival Check.
User avatar
Kull
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:17 pm
Race: Half-Orc
Class: 1st lvl figther

Re: Into the Swamp

Post by Kull » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:02 am

Kull throws a quick look at the bite. "Might be poisonus, you could try to suck it out just dont swallow it". He looks around confronted with a part of nature he has never seen before. He tightens the straps of his backpack and occasionally glances left and right.
Survival check 1d20+1
User avatar
Arlette Craven
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:45 am
Race: Human
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Re: Into the Swamp

Post by Arlette Craven » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:12 am

Arlette takes offence at the body-less narration, she would never allow anyone in her company, prisoner or not, to go unfed or unbathed - mostly because she doesn't like smelly people, but her thoughts digress.

Survival check
1d20+3
User avatar
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Posts: 633
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:17 pm
Race: Human
Class: Dungeon Master

Re: Into the Swamp

Post by NeomerArcana » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:14 pm

30 minutes later, one of the minor landmarks noted on the map comes into view, reassuring you all that you're on the right path.

Some short time later ahead on the tracks sits a lone wooden wagon decorated in chitinous shells, bones and arcane symbols. Many of the decorations are painted a myriad of colors far beyond their natural pigment; to call this vehicle gaudy would be quite an understatement. At the front of the wagon stands a stocky, well-toned pony receiving the attention of a floating brush which drags across its coat. Despite their environs the wagon and its beast of burden are queerly well maintained and clean. The sounds of deliberate and articulated hissing comes from the interior of the wagon, approaching the rear. It is delivered in an idle and uniform pace, a mantra perhaps, none of you can understand it, but it's clearly a language.

Burn flies in a darting pattern, around the group, and seems to stay low in the trees. You can see the bird now, searching the sky from it's new vantage point.
User avatar
Kull
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:17 pm
Race: Half-Orc
Class: 1st lvl figther

Re: Into the Swamp

Post by Kull » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:03 am

Kull stops dead in his tracks.
From previous experiences he had with traders he was sure that this wagon surley wasnt owned by a trader.
Their wagons werent decorated, if at all reinforced to fend off attackers. Also traders never travelled alone they either had guards or moved in caravans to avoid bandit ambushes.
He puts his finger on the lips in a "shh" fashsion and whispers. "Be quiet maybe they havent noticed us yet. It could be that the wagon is from those cultists which we ran into before. Just listen to that gibberisch could be some sort of ritual. If you dont have any other idea about this vehicle i say Arlettte and maybe Ludo could sneak up and get us a better idea how many there are and what they are doing. If you need backup just shout for me. Otherwise i`ll hide in the swanp for now."

While rubbing mud on his forehead and cheeks his eyes narrowed. Why would a wagon just stand on the road in the middle of nowhere, either they had a malfunction on cart or the horse but both were in good condition.
Then it hit him like a tree swung by an ogre.
It must be a trap.
Addrealin rushes through Kulls veins, he wants jumps up tell the others about his suspicon but forces himself to stay down as a warning would cause even more danger to the rest of the group.
(survival check for disguising 1d20+1)
spot check for possible enemys 1d20+1
User avatar
Arlette Craven
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:45 am
Race: Human
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Re: Into the Swamp

Post by Arlette Craven » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:43 pm

Arlette nods to Kull before she heads on up the trail towards the cart to get a better look, doing her best to sneak and hide along the edges.

Hide check
1d20+6

Move silently check
1d20+6
User avatar
Wikk Slyscale
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:39 pm
Race: Kobold
Class: 2nd Level Wizard

Re: Into the Swamp

Post by Wikk Slyscale » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:10 am

As the party approaches the wagon the pony turns its head lazily toward them. It wouldn't seem disturbed or surprised to see new people; nor would the brush running along its back cease its tireless motions. Within the wagon a small metallic squeak is met by that small hissing language. The result is a flow of water being poured into a deep iron pot. In short order something is submerged into the water and the sordid snap of bone splits the air from within the gaudy vehicle. By this time Arlette has begun her approach and in her great care not to be seen steps upon a dead root that breaks beneath her.

The inhabitant of the wagon pauses, clears its throat and calls out in common, "Anyone there?" It's a male's voice, and quite small. There is a pair of doors on the back of the wagon that seem to be the closest point of access to the speaker. There is no panic in his voice, perhaps he believes it was an animal that had approached his wagon.

[OOC]: Rolled the Listen Check of 12 in my character sheet at DM's suggestion.
User avatar
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Posts: 633
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:17 pm
Race: Human
Class: Dungeon Master

Re: Into the Swamp

Post by NeomerArcana » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:01 pm

Wikk has heard the approach of Arlette.

(FYI, it's a small thing Wikk, but don't assume the manner in which Arlette gave herself away, in this case stepping on a stick. We don't want any hint of anyone controlling another persons character)
User avatar
Wikk Slyscale
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:39 pm
Race: Kobold
Class: 2nd Level Wizard

Re: Into the Swamp

Post by Wikk Slyscale » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:22 pm

NeomerArcana wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:01 pm
Wikk has heard the approach of Arlette.

(FYI, it's a small thing Wikk, but don't assume the manner in which Arlette gave herself away, in this case stepping on a stick. We don't want any hint of anyone controlling another persons character)
( Gotcha! Yeah, the last thing I intended there was to make a decision on someone else's behalf. I'll take greater care to avoid that in the future. )
User avatar
Arlette Craven
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:45 am
Race: Human
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Re: Into the Swamp

Post by Arlette Craven » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:28 pm

Upon hearing the small voice from the back of the wagon, Arlette steps out from her hiding place, approaching the wagon calmly with her crossbow drawn, she hopes that her friends see that and come up to join her. She calls out to the wagon, "Friend, come out and make yourself known, we are ready to meet you." She waits patiently out of reach for the voice to come into the sunlight.
Post Reply