Regrouping in Southport

NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Race: Human
Class: Dungeon Master

Re: Regrouping in Southport

Post by NeomerArcana » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:16 am

Okay; the group is now staying at the orphanage for the night. You arrive, arms laden with food, so you're welcomed very warmly.

You're given beds on the second floor, where everyone is staying. It's a dormitory, but due to the happenings lately, everyone feels a little safer staying together. Some of the children joke about the adults snoring, but it's all in good humor.

After a shared meal, most everyone drifts off to sleep. Some of the priests stay awake and "patrol", which seems like they just walk downstairs for a bit and hurry back up. The fear and panic, you can only assume, was worse before your party arrived.

I'll assume you all take a watch each for the night. Everyone please roll a 1d100 to determine what you see, hear, and dream. There's no need for listen or spot checks.
Arlette Craven
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Post by Arlette Craven » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:00 pm

1d100
Grigori Steelbrow
Race: Dwarf
Class: 1st-lvl fighter

Post by Grigori Steelbrow » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:04 pm

1d100
Kull
Race: Half-Orc
Class: 1st lvl figther

Post by Kull » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:01 am

1d100
Ludo Fritzwick
Race: Gnome
Class: 2nd-level Bard

Post by Ludo Fritzwick » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:17 am

/r 1d100
NeomerArcana
Site Admin

Post by NeomerArcana » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:13 pm

Arlette and Grigori your watches are first. The only thing either of you notice is that the guards appear to be patrolling in larger groups now, five or seven men at a time.

Kull, during your watch, in the middle of the night, you stay by the window watching the street below. You can't place your finger on it, but you feel uncomfortable here, surrounded by sleeping children and priests. Even though you watch the street below, you are surprised when you see a shadowy figure move across the street, from one dark shadow into another.

You can't be sure, but it seemed like a man. It skirted the light, stayed in the shadow as much as possible, but it moved oddly. You could almost be convinced that it was just a figment of your imagintation, and shift in moonlight, anything really. But you can't quite convince yourself, it keeps you on edge. Before you can act much more than that, it is Ludo's turn at watch, you mention what you saw.

Ludo, feeling a little spooked by the figure described by Kull, you keep a very alert watch in the early morning hours before everyone wakes. You take careful notice of the guards patrols in the streets surrounding the dormitory. You too see the shadowy figure, further down the street than where Kul pointed it out, and heading in the opposite direction. There's an eerie pre-dawn light when you see it, it's more formed than you thought it would be, but due to the mist and the dista, you cannot make out much detail... but you're sure it didn't move right. It didn't seem to step, it seemed to float, or just... move in a very indistinct way.

When you sleep, all of you have unsettling dreams. None of you remember any specifics, only a feeling of gloom, depression, of unending pointlessness. It is difficult to smile in the morning. You notice that the Mother arises happily and starts to rouse everyone with far more cheer than any of you feel. Apparently, she is immune to the affects taking place on the town. You all also notice that she does a very good job of cheering everyone, and before long, everyone is happily making their way around the dormitory, and heading downstairs to begin cooking.

You are all invited downstairs to join in the meal.

When questions, Mother Scersis says that she has noticed how people feel when they wake, but had simply put it down to the recent troubles playing on peoples minds. She points out that no one seems to have trouble falling asleep though.

Arlette, when the others point out where the dark man came from and returned toward, you instantly note that it appears to be in the direction of the spot on your map of the swamp where the taint lies. Or at least it's in that direction.

Some of the priests and brothers make mention that they have some supplies that could be useful for you all on your assumed trip into the swamp. The can't give them to you for free. They have:
  • Potion of Cure Serious Wounds (CL 4) (600gp)
  • Potion of Cure Light Wounds x12 (CL 2) (100gp)
  • Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds x7 (CL 3) (300gp)
  • Potion of Hide From Animals x6 (CL 2) (100gp)
  • Potion of Pass Without Trace x3 (CL 1) (50gp)
  • Potion of Protection From Evil x4 (CL 3) (150gp)
  • Potion of Sanctuary x2 (CL 4) (200gp)
  • Potion of Bull's Strength x1 (CL 4) (400gp)
  • Potion of Daylight x3 (CL 3) (450gp)
  • Potion of Remove Disease x2 (CL 4) (600gp)
(You can all see how the orphange makes money)

I'll let you all decide whether any of these potions are of interest. I assume you're all in agreement to head to the tainted area of the swamp.

Kull and Ludo, as an aside, you notice that a lot of the older boys here are quite strong, some have a little skill with weapons, learned on their own through practice in the yard with one of the Clerics.
Arlette Craven
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Post by Arlette Craven » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:02 pm

"I think we can be fairly sure that the sickness in the swamp is caused by that figure, and it's probably best we go in the daylight to get some more answers"

"Friends, what supplies do you think we need? I thought perhaps some cures for wounds, potion for disease, and some daylight."
Kull
Race: Half-Orc
Class: 1st lvl figther

Post by Kull » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:53 am

"I agree some healing stuff should help us with a lot of trouble. If you need coin i guess i have some to spare for supplies. What do we do with our prisoners? I doubt they could be of much help for us. Wait a second i have an idea." He turns to the prisoners and throws a quick look to Ludo. "Say did any of you ever worked on a ship as a sailor or the likes ? If so i might have a proposal for you guys i promise it wont be something bad for you." "Ludo if you have some time i would like to have a word with the cleric who is training those boys there. Maybe they are old enough to go their own way and we can give them some advice what to do."
(dipolmacy check for prisoners) 1d20-3
Ludo Fritzwick
Race: Gnome
Class: 2nd-level Bard

Post by Ludo Fritzwick » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:25 am

Ludo gives his coin purse a jangle, "I forget how expensive potions are these days... I suppose I have enough to buy a single potion of cure light wounds. I should probably be more careful with money now I'm on adventures with you guys, I'm used to being more frivolous."

DM Im buying 1 cure light wounds for 100gp [/b]

Ludo smiles at Kull's attempts to convince the prisoners to work on the ships, and whilst Ludo appreciates the sentiment, he can tell the words aren't sinking in, "What our good friend means to say is, we do have opportunity for you three lads, and some others. There is a ship here, leaving port soon, that needs some more hands. It'd be a chance for you all to start afresh, somewhere new. Get away from all the shit you've been involved with here - get away from the law and your crimes. If we survive this ordeal of course. Show us you're good here, and yeah, we'll get the three of you away from all this shit."

Diplomacy for the prisoners
1d20+5

After his discussion with their bandits, Ludo calls over a bunch of the older boys, and talks to them all, "So lads, how many of you want to get away from all this? Make a name for yourselves, go on new adventures and see the world! Southport's pretty small, believe me, I've seen more, you lads surely want the same right? Look, there's a ship that needs new hands. Honest work for honest pay. And, that honest work means you get travel and see shit you never thought possible, and coin is always bloody handy."

Diplomacy for the lads
1d20+5
NeomerArcana
Site Admin

Post by NeomerArcana » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:11 pm

The three prisoners look to both Kull andLudo with open disbelief. The three of them trip over each others words. "Of course we'll fuckin' go! Better on a boat than die from the church!"

The older boys look toward the priests when asked about travelling. They seem unsure about their roles as adults, still living in the orphanage. One builds up enough courage to speak for all of them, "well to be honest, most of us thought we'd join the church, we've been a part of things for so long. I know a few of us are heading out of the swamp to look for work out around the plains, farmhand and whatnot..."

A couple of them look down at their feet when this is mentioned. You recognise it as shame, but shame of what you cannot say.

Okay everyone, if there's nothing left to do here, we'll move onto the travel to the swamp soon.