Kull & Ludo

NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Race: Human
Class: Dungeon Master

Kull & Ludo

Post by NeomerArcana » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:59 pm

The docks are large and mostly empty. That said, there are still quite a few ships here, it just seems like there's a lot more "dock" than their needs to be. The Drunken She-Elf is down here, you decide that it's probably the best place to start asking questions.

After buying a couple of ales, and wincing at the thought of last night, you start to ask about what's been happening. There's a lot of gossip quickly thrown your way, but a couple of names come up. The Fitzer is a ship which has been anchored here now for some weeks, nearly all of the crew has caught the disease and the captain has so far been unable to find replacements; the man seems eager, too eager you're told by the locals, to leave. Word is, he brought the disease and he wants to get out before the locals come after him.

The second name given to you is Hansard, the dock-master. This name is given to you with a bit more respect; he's a lcoal and "always fair", "always done right by me" etc. He'd know all the coming and goings and might be able to give you some more information about when the disease started, and if it came on a ship, which one it likely came on. If you're to believe everything, Hansard is likely the best person to be the king, he's kind and well-organised, never misses a beat; and always fair.
Kull
Race: Half-Orc
Class: 1st lvl figther

Re: Kull & Ludo

Post by Kull » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:28 am

"Well Ludo what do you say is our first move? whatever it is you do the talking with your silver tounge. I will even keep you out of trouble for that. And where did you lean to drink like this ? I can handle quite a lot but for your size you were pretty good," He then waits for Ludo to decide and keeps his eyes out for unsual happenings.
(am not sure what check is the right one here so ill make three
spot check 1d20+1
gather information 1d20-3
search 1d20-2
NeomerArcana
Site Admin

Post by NeomerArcana » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:50 pm

Kull, you don't see anything out of the ordinary.
Ludo Fritzwick
Race: Gnome
Class: 2nd-level Bard

Post by Ludo Fritzwick » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:02 am

Ludo smiles at the flattery from Kull, "I didn't last much longer than you buddy, but, I've been drinking far longer than you've been running around!" He tells him with a hearty laugh. "You just get used to it. I've moved from town to town, playing my music, making friends, and that usually involves a drink or twelve. I was never one to sit around like my family y'know? I wanted to get out and see the world! One day I'll settle down sure. But for now, things to see, people to meet! Speaking of which, I'd say the dock-master is the place to start. Gossip is fun and usually points us in the right direction, but, best to get seniority out of the way first. Plus, if he knows we're searching around, some doors may open easier, if you catch my drift."

Ludo begins to walk in the direction of Hansard, leading Kull in that direction, and asks him in return, "How'd you end up here anyway? What's your story big guy? Inspire my new ballads!"

As they walk, Ludo keeps an ear out to try and listen to any gossip as he passes.

Listen
1d20+2
NeomerArcana
Site Admin

Post by NeomerArcana » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:17 am

Ludo, as you're walking along the dock to Hansard's little duty-hut, you easily overhear a few conversations. Snippets like the following:

"Well, we could just make a break for it... People have been able to come to town, surely we can leave..."
"No; that Glave fellow said that the road out was being blocked by the dark-man"

"I'm the last one of my family now, all the rest have died..."
"You... haven't shown any signs have you?...."
"No...well. I don't think so. I'm not a doctor"

"He told us we should wash his hands, I laughed."
"Of course, good wine is what keeps the disease at bay"

When you reach Hansard he comes out to greet you.

"What can I do for you fellows?" he asks.

After you explain what you're looking to hear he responds. "There's was only one ship who's arrival coincided with the outbreak of the disease, that's the Fitzer. She's still here on account of so many of the crew being unwilling to get back onboard... but truth be told, I suspect the disease comes from the swamp and the ship is just a casualty. Though I confess the dates don't line up... but hear me out."

He goes on to explain how it seems to take about 2 weeks for the disease to appear on someone after they "catch it". So he reckons the disease must have come from either the swamp, or a ship two weeks ago. "Problem is, all those ships have long since set sail."
NeomerArcana
Site Admin

Post by NeomerArcana » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:36 am

Okay guys, what are you next steps?

There's probably not much more to learn from Hansard, but you could talk to the Captain of the Fitzer. You have possibly uncovered some rumors as well that you could ask around about, or ask Hansard.
Kull

Post by Kull » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:35 am

Kull looks at Ludo
"Guess we will go visit the captain. You know we could pose as sailors to get information of the rest of the crew. They wont say no to me.
As long as you do the talking i guess. So what do ya say ?"
Ludo Fritzwick
Race: Gnome
Class: 2nd-level Bard

Post by Ludo Fritzwick » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:48 am

OOC; Sorry, been away a few days

Ludo nods and makes mental notes of what Hansard is telling the pair of them, and agrees, it doesn't make sense at all - still, worth going and checking it all out.

Ludo hears what Kull suggests, and nods, "But before we go, what are the signs of this disease? Just so I know what we're looking out for. And, what do you know of the dark man." Ludo makes sure to put emphasis on the, to make it clear its a specific figure he's referring to. "And what's in the swamp that could cause this? Surely things in there are old stories and been there a long time. What could've changed?"

After gaining the information from Hansard, if there's no need for follow up questions (or rolls), then Ludo proceeds with Kull towards the Fitzer.
Kull

Post by Kull » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:51 am

"Huh i would say that there is no dark man. Maybe just a beggar or a thief that was at the wrong place at the wrong time. But if there should be something like this dont worry. I am stronger than some man who needs to hide in the shadows. Maybe there is just a aligator snatching those people away".
NeomerArcana
Site Admin

Post by NeomerArcana » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:59 pm

Hansard explains carefully that new diseases come every generation from the swamp. He's of the opinion nothing has changed, it's just the time for it. He describes the symptoms as best he can, patchy rashes and boils, followed by blindness and then death. He cautions that some people will exaggerate, but he thinks it's bad enough as is.

You approach the Fitzer, it's a big ship. The Captain stands on the docks and welcomes you. "If you're looking for work, I have none. Not unless you can bring about 10 more friends". He says this almost hopefully, like you have more friends just around the corner.

Quickly you ask about the disease and his ship. He claims that no one on his ship was sick until they got here. His boat is clean, they only were transported timber, no livestock, no sickness.