Arlette, Janice, Brown Dog & Burn

NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Race: Human
Class: Dungeon Master

Arlette, Janice, Brown Dog & Burn

Post by NeomerArcana » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:58 pm

When asked about where the local captain can be found, Fredathow informs you that he would likely be asleep considering he has watch last night. In fact, there probably isn't even anyone at the guardhouse, most of the town guard is on patrol at night now with all the disturbances; they sleep through the day.

Not knowing how else to proceed, you go to the gate and find the same guard from last night. He recognises you and greets you with a smile, missing some teeth.

"I trust you had a pleasant night?" he asks. You speak to him briefly and enquire about the location of the tracker. In response he opens the gate and beckons you to follow him. He takes a few steps down the road, almost disappearing into the fog, and points out a patch of grass that has been well-worn, a pathway that disappears into the swamp.

"You'll find Selinder down that way," he says. "She's an odd one, lives down that way a bit, about a mile or so I suppose. She'd be down there now I reckon, waved her off down there this morning when my patrol started."
Arlette Craven
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Re: Arlette, Janice, Brown Dog & Burn

Post by Arlette Craven » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:50 pm

Arlette sends Brown Dog ahead with Burn and asks Janice to stay close by as they head into the fog, "Maybe get your weapon out, just in case we come across something..."

When they reach Selinder's home they will approach cautiously but openly, they want to speak with her and not have her feel threatened by their presence, but will also look for any potential traps as they get closer.

Spot check
1d20+5

Listen check
1d20+6
NeomerArcana
Site Admin

Post by NeomerArcana » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:30 am

Arlette and Janice reach Selinder's house without any trouble. The path was long, winding, and at a couple of spots seemed incomplete and was hard to follow.

Calling it a "house" seems very genereous now that you see it. It's more of a well-constructed lean-to than a house. It consists of a rockwall carved into a small cliff on the side of a hill, with a bit of an overhang, and a well-constructed mud and stick wall leaning against it, acting as both wall and roof. There's not door, just one side of the lean-to open to the air. All in all, it gives off the impression of a cave with the way the carved out embankment and wall are positioned. It is sized large enough to fit a human standing.

Sitting outside, eating a late breakfast, is who you assume to be Selinder. She is a slim half-elf, though her exposed shoulders are broad and muscular. Judging by her ears and eyes, you would guess that there is more elf in her than human, but her nose gives you the impression that gnomish or halfling blood flows in her veins as well. She wears simple, functional clothes, though you note the cloak currently bundled around her waist is of fine elven quality.

Beside her is a bow and quiver of arrows, though she makes no move for them.

"Well met, travellers," she says. "You're either lost, or looking for me."

You both inform her of why you're there, trying to uncover the mystery of what's happening, and point out that you heard her name mentioned and that she'd found something.

"Yes. Tracks I've not seen in these parts. Something has awoken in the swamp, and I know where to find it. I've been keeping an eye on the area around the taint, but I've enough sense to know I can't do anything about it. I suggest you do as I do, and leave the swamp. I've lived here all my life, but this is going to spread, and things are going to get worse before they're better."

You notice now that she does in fact look packed and ready to leave.
Arlette Craven

Post by Arlette Craven » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:39 pm

"I appreciate that you want to get out, but before you leave can you show us where this thing is? My friends and I have been tasked with finding out what is wrong in this area and to fix it if we can. You are under no obligation to join us in the fight, but without you we will never find it and never have the chance to rid this area of this threat. Will you help us?"

If Selinder agrees they will return to the city to tell the others the information and make a plan to head into the swamps the next day or so depending on what the others have found.

Diplomacy check
1d20+4
NeomerArcana
Site Admin

Post by NeomerArcana » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:48 pm

Selinder's thinks for a moment before responding. "I will give you a map, but I will not go into that tainted area for you."

She quickly draws out a map on a scroll that appears to be made from some kind of plant material, like a large fern leaf. She explains the map and provides you with landmark descriptions to help you follow it.

Arlette, you and Janice now have a pretty good map to get you to what Selinder believes to be the source of this taint. She continues to pack and returns back to the city with you. But she parts ways with you before you reach the main road, wishing you and Janice well. She says she will return in a years time.
Arlette Craven

Post by Arlette Craven » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:42 pm

Arlette and Janice will return and tell the others about the map and see what they have discovered.