Southport

NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Race: Human
Class: Dungeon Master

Southport

Post by NeomerArcana » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:43 pm

The group continues on, cautiously, toward Southport. Night seems to fall a little earlier here and a little harder that you're used to, so by the time you arrive, it feels a lot later than it could be. The horses have become more and more skittish as you got closer, but as the large town gates open, they practically dash inside. Even Brown Dog and Bern seem relieved to enter.

You're greeted by a couple guards who were manning the gates and opened it as they saw you arrive.

"Welcome to Southport," says the one evidently in charge. "If you're looking for the docks, just keep down this main road, it'll take you right there. If you're in need of lodging, stop by the Drunken Elf-whore down next to the docks, you'll go right past it. Tell 'em Sveld sent you, I get a copper for each patron I send their ways."
Arlette Craven
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Re: Southport

Post by Arlette Craven » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:24 pm

"And where would you send us if we could give you a silver piece for each of us?" Hoping there is somewhere better to stay than the Drunken Elf-whore.

Sense motive check
1d20+8

Arlette will then ask him about the mist and any news from recent travellers.
NeomerArcana
Site Admin

Post by NeomerArcana » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:34 am

"Ah well, if that's the case, lass, and don't mention it to Harry at the Elf-Whore... but, well.... you're better off staying at the Green Skipper on the top of the hill."

"As for news, well. Things have been a bit odd lately. We've got some kind of disease from the swamp affecting us. So far, only the old have been hit, but we're worried about the children. I've no children myself, and I'm fit, so it's no skin off my nose. But it's certainly go some people worried. So worried in fact that there's stories of 'bumps in the night' and other such crap. Sightings of a dark figure in the alleys at night and all. Hah! Nonsense, I tell you. I'm out here near every night watching the gates or on patrol and I've not seen or heard a thing."
Kull
Race: Half-Orc
Class: 1st lvl figther

Post by Kull » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:51 am

Kull nods "Thanks for the info, do you know by any chance if we can find a church here ? I would even put in an extra silver coin."
Ludo Fritzwick
Race: Gnome
Class: 2nd-level Bard

Post by Ludo Fritzwick » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:31 am

Ludo is thankful to be inside the walls, normally he'd go to play his instrument to calm him down, but whatever had been out there had actually scared him somewhat, mainly the mystery of it all. He hadn't even made any quips or jokes about the situation since.

Though, Ludo does perk up at the mention of a nice inn to go stay in, and at the mention of it, he thinks about how much else he knows about Southport from brief passings in the past -

Knowledge Local
1d20+6

"I'm all for going to the inn and resting, and a drink finally, think a good friend here even promised me a bottle!" He jokes, giving Kai a gentle slap on the back, his mood actually lifting. He also begins to think of some new songs he can perform whilst there.
Arlette Craven
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Post by Arlette Craven » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:49 pm

Arlette gives the guard the silver pieces she promised him as the group moves off to the Green Skipper.

Once there she will make her way around trying to learn of any odd happenings or useful information. She will also make contact with the thieves guild.

Gather information check
1d20+7
NeomerArcana
Site Admin

Post by NeomerArcana » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:31 am

Kull the guard tells you that their city is full of churches, every old sailor who retires brings his faith with him from whatever land he's from.

Ludo of Southport you know quite a lot. It was originally a small fishing village some few generations ago; but after the peace between the Kingdoms seemed like it would last forever, more and more overseas trade starting to come in. Kalindar, being the largest and richest of the Kingdoms, required it's own port to the ocean, and so the small village had a lot of new infrastructure built, paid for by the crown, in order to ensure that it was the destination that all overseas ships would come to when visiting The Three Kingdoms.

It never quite got all that popular though; other cities see more trade, but this isn't a quiet place. There's just a lot more docks than there ever are need of ships; though when the weather looks foul, it can get a little cramped.

Because Kalindar suddenly found itself somewhat reliant for the overseas trade, considering that the other two Kingdoms aren't nearly large enough to financially support all of Kalindar's upkeep, the king decided to build a navy. It's a small, but impressive and well-trained navy; that makes up the bulk of the South Watch.

Of course, everyone knows that the Watches sit at the cardinal directions around Kalindar and largely keep it safe from incursion. It's all paid for by Kalindar, which is a continual point of contention between the three Kingdoms.

All of the sudden success of Southport didn't help change the swamp though. It's a large marshy area formed from the runoff from the mountains. All that water travelling underground seems to seep up here before joining the sea. There are many, many tales of creatures, beasts and things from the swamp and marsh, but nothing that can't be dismissed as interesting stories. (except the one you remembered from before).

It's said that if you ever need to get out of the kingdoms, Southport will have a boat leaving tomorrow.

Arlette you learn that the troubles seem to be two-fold: First, there's a disease of some description, something new that Southport hasn't seen before. Some people here are a little bit smarter than you'd normally give them credit for and question the source. It could be the swamp, they argue, disease has been known to come from there. But it could also have come in on a ship. There's talk that the chief of the docks might close it off for a time, he's awaiting word from the King.

But then there's the second thing. People have reported seeing shadows and creatures throughout the town. People are scared. The fear in their voices is palpable; no one leaves the tavern until a friend or two are on their way so they can all travel together. Everyone laughs too loud and boasts more than usual, trying to keep away the fear that sits across their shoulders.

Finally; there's reports from the patrols that something has been stalking in the marshy swamp. Their tracker has seen sign from something that he claims to have never seen in his lifetime of traversing this swamp, it's odd, and has the tracker, a woman who has spent her life in this swamp, in fear of an unknown.
Kai Sylgeiros
Class: 2nd-lvl Paladin

Post by Kai Sylgeiros » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:18 pm

Once at the inn, kai goes to the bar. "Good evening, me and some friends have just made it into town. Its a little late but could we get lodging, food, and drink for four. Does southport have any food or drink that we must try before leaving."
(DM not sure if i need to do a check for anything or not.)
NeomerArcana
Site Admin

Post by NeomerArcana » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:44 pm

You guys are all squared away now at the Inn. Kai, when you ask about food you're told that this time of year is when the salmon are biting. You're told it's the most delicious fish and is best eaten raw.
NeomerArcana
Site Admin

Post by NeomerArcana » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:28 am

Okay guys, bit of a reminder:
  • You're on a mission from the church to investigate Southport. There were reports coming in of strange things happening.
  • Janice is still with you, she has agreed to help but then you have to help her
  • There are still 3 bandits as your prisoners
A good place to start would be the tracker Arlette learned about. There's another place to start but Ludo might need to go back over the stories he knows of and make a few leaps in logic.