On the Trail to Southport

Locked
User avatar
Arlette Craven
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:45 am
Race: Human
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Re: On the Trail to Southport

Post by Arlette Craven » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:02 pm

Before the captain and his men arrive, Arlette searches the bandits. She also does a sense motive on the bandit claiming the merchants to be unjust and whether to trust taking these men into their custody.

Sense motive check
1d20+8

DM I've assumed Arlette has enough time to take 20 to search the men.
User avatar
Kull
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:17 pm
Race: Half-Orc
Class: 1st lvl figther

Re: On the Trail to Southport

Post by Kull » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:48 am

Kull walks over to the bandit and responds: We could take you to avoid your execution but why should we risk our reputation and a possible reward ?
As far as i can take it from your looks you should have a stash somewhere. Tell us where your loot is and we will take you for now.
Diplomacy check 1d20-3
After that he waits for the captain as well.
User avatar
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Posts: 535
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:17 pm
Race: Human
Class: Dungeon Master

Re: On the Trail to Southport

Post by NeomerArcana » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:38 am

Arlette, while searching the bodies you find a total of 128gp in mixed copper, silver, and gold coins. You also find

The bandit Kull speaks to looks to his companions and then back to Kull. "Yes, yes. I'll take you to our stash, just don't hand us over and you'll be rich." He doesn't need much convincing.

When the Captain walk in, Grigori announces the intentions of the party. The Captain stands there for a moment before responding. "I don't think that's going to be possible. These men are wanted criminals, our orders are to execute bandits found on the road. Who killed them is irrelevant."

If you guys want to continue to keep the Captain from these men, you'll need to make some diplomacy rolls. I'd suggest one of you does the rolls, everyone else who wants to take part will give a +2 to the roll.
User avatar
Ludo Fritzwick
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:59 pm
Race: Gnome
Class: 2nd-level Bard

Re: On the Trail to Southport

Post by Ludo Fritzwick » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:17 am

((If you guys don't mind, I'll roll Ludo on diplomacy, since he has the largest bonus of +6?))

Ludo hears the words of the bandit to Kull, and is intrigued. More gold or loot is always handy. Still, the work here was good and would make for a nice little song. And then Ludo gets an idea of his own, for the "hired" help. Now, he's even more determined to make sure these men continue to work for them.

"Captain, my good man! As far as you or the rest of the world is concerned, these men here are dead. You know who we are, the Swords of Pelor, and, believe me, we'll be working these men to the point they wish they were dead!" He laughs at that, slightly manically. "Their assistance with our mission may not be the work they intended, but they'll be serving King and Country proud. Surely, that is the most desirable outcome in all this and the most fitting punishment? Plus, let's be honest, we keep running into trouble so there's a pretty good chance they're going to die with us anyway." Ludo turns and looks at the bandits and shrugs at them, "I'd say sorry, but I'm not really." And then turning back to the Captain he finishes with, "Report them escaped from this conflict, if you wish, and then, if we get asked, we'll say we happened to stumble across them and took them captive."

(I've rolled excluding any bonuses from others, though I'd hope everyone chips in :D So, an extra +8?)

1d20+6
User avatar
Grigori Steelbrow
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:06 am
Race: Dwarf
Class: 1st-lvl fighter

Re: On the Trail to Southport

Post by Grigori Steelbrow » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:31 am

Grigori, supporting Ludo's argument, "He is correct, with our ongoing investigations they may very well find death a better alternative to cultists and heretical abominations. I also speak as a once-damned man, on a path of redemption through serving under the Sword of Pelor. Surely these bandits may be spared and redeemed."

Grigori will offer a +2 to Ludo.
User avatar
Kai Sylgeiros
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:37 am
Race: Human
Class: 2nd-lvl Paladin

Re: On the Trail to Southport

Post by Kai Sylgeiros » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:41 am

Kai also supporting ludo says, "the merchant guild would be happy to know that their mercenaries sat around not doing the job they were payed for. We part ways here you report what you want to and we take the highway men."
Kai is unhappy with how the mercenaries conducted themselves and very well might tell the merchant guild if given the opportunity.
User avatar
Kull
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:17 pm
Race: Half-Orc
Class: 1st lvl figther

Re: On the Trail to Southport

Post by Kull » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:26 am

Kull puffes out his chest, takes a short look at the captain. I say you let them go as we did you a huge favor by dealing with those bandits. As the saying goes one hand washes another. He then steps back to his group and waits for an outcome.
User avatar
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Posts: 535
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:17 pm
Race: Human
Class: Dungeon Master

Re: On the Trail to Southport

Post by NeomerArcana » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:23 am

Firstly, I forgot to complete what I'd written for Arlette's search check. Arlette you also uncover a small disk with a hole drilled in one edge where a cord is threaded. It has the ever familiar symbol of Hextor on it. The dead bandit you retrieved it from appears to have been the once leader of these men; he also had a note in his pocket.
Continue the campaign of banditry. Pay what is required, you will be reimbursed at a later date.
It is signed off by another symbol of Hextor.

Finally, you discover five glass vials containing clear liquids. Each is stoppered securely and wrapped in a soft leather sleeve.

The Captain listens to the arguments and readily agrees. "Fair enough, we killed the lot of them. Sure makes our life easier, hey boys?" he asks the men around, a few laugh.

The party now has in the possession 4 bandits, one of whom is injured. You've each got a horse but it seems as though these bandits were all on foot. It'll be slowing going from here. What's the next steps?

Brown Dog and Burn (your departed wizards crow), chase each other around the ruined tower, playing.
User avatar
Ludo Fritzwick
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:59 pm
Race: Gnome
Class: 2nd-level Bard

Re: On the Trail to Southport

Post by Ludo Fritzwick » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:06 pm

Ludo smiles at the outcome, and waits for the guards to leave, "Excellent! Welcome to the party lads. No hard feelings I hope? After all, we have just kept you out of prison. Though you should probably tell us your names you know? Unless you want new ones? Yknow, since you're officially dead and all? Personally, I think Biscuit, Thumb, Thimble, and Twindle." He points to each one of them in turn, suggesting his insane idea. To the one who had been engaged in combat with him, the one he was presently addressing as Thumb, Ludo hands him his bag, though makes sure to place the crossbow back on the side of it, and removes his fiddle, and the ring he'd received earlier at the inn, that he places in his pocket. "Be a dear and carry this for me please."

Ludo finally looks to the rest of the party, "Well I think that was a resounding success! Arlette, tell me you found some goodies? And then I believe one of these fine lads said something about some loot? Oh! And speaking of you fine lads, what are you good at? And don't say fighting shit, cause, apparently not. Anyone got a nack for magic items?"
User avatar
Kull
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:17 pm
Race: Half-Orc
Class: 1st lvl figther

Re: On the Trail to Southport

Post by Kull » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:34 am

Kull lets out a sigh. "Guess today is our lucky day considering we almost died here. I say we could take a rest here which should give us some time to patch up and to take a short look at their loot. Also maybe we should mark our friends here in some way. Like a scar or a branding, would be a shame if they just run away at their first chance". He then nods to the bandit which had promised to show Kull their loot. "Now lets take a look at what you promised us".
Locked