Post by NeomerArcana » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:10 am

Lucky roll!
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Race: Human
Class: Dungeon Master

Re: On the Trail to Southport

Post by NeomerArcana » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:51 am

Now that Kai is healed a little; I'm going to leave it now to see if Kull or Grigory want to give it a go too.

Other than that; I'm going to move this along to Southport.

The group arrives in Southport in the late afternoon, the road from Kragg was pleasant. As before, there's a lot more traffic on the road than you've seen lately. You passed another mercenary group employed by the Merchants Guild, and you also passed by a group of priests.

They were not of the Church of Pelor, but seemed of good nature. The passing was brief as they seemed in quite a hurry.

The last hour or so of road is a raised sort of levvy, built up to cross the swamp. It is made of gravel and stone, basically piled up and then smoothed over on top of a more permanent bridge-like structure. Grigori, you notice right away that the construction is all wrong, and fairly haphazard; there's several ways you can think of that would allow the bridge-structure and gravel road it holds to last longer.

In fact, about halfway across you come across a crew of prisoners and workers from Southport, under the watchful eye of a warden and a foreman, working together to maintain the road. The foreman laughs about how once they get to one end of the road, they turn around and start all over again as the road has already deteriorated.

Crossing the swamp is at first no trouble. The road, as shoddy as it is, allows your horses and feet to stay out of the water and cross the swamp-lands without any problems. Eventually you see the lights of Southport in the distance, blurred by the thick fog that seemed to build up as you progressed. From this mist you now hear strange sounds, sounds that you can't claim to have heard before.

There is suddenly a scream the like of which you cannot believe comes from this plane. It's a shriek filled with rage and frustration. It lasts for about 5 seconds before ending abruptly, the fog and swamp seem to swallow the sound completely. No of you are sure, but it seems to have come from in front of you, down the road, between yourselves and the safe lights of Southport.
Grigori Steelbrow
Race: Dwarf
Class: 1st-lvl fighter

Post by Grigori Steelbrow » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:40 pm

"What in Pelor's bowels was that?" Grigori says with a vague look of concern.
Kai Sylgeiros
Class: 2nd-lvl Paladin

Post by Kai Sylgeiros » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:54 am

With his very little experience kai is lost for thought as he says, "something not too happy. It is in between us and our destination though."
Ludo Fritzwick
Race: Gnome
Class: 2nd-level Bard

Post by Ludo Fritzwick » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:28 am

As they'd travelled towards Southport, Ludo had thought nothing of the mist building up around them, but as the long scream from ahead shocks them, Ludo is especially taken aback by it, and begins to fear. Still, in that moment, he finally starts to focus on the mist around them and what this could be.

Spellcraft (Using spellcraft to identify if this is a spell around them, obviously I realise that could be a harder DC check without detect magic? Though if does happen to be an illusion, I believe Ludo has an extra +2, or is that just on saving throws - I haven't included it on this roll)
1d20+6

At the same time, Ludo tries to think about whether he's heard any stories of mysterious noises/screams in fogs around Southport, and if he can remember any, he tells the group of them.
Bardic Knowledge or Local Knowledge (whichever you feel is the more appropriate one, same bonus regardless)
1d20+6
Kull
Race: Half-Orc
Class: 1st lvl figther

Post by Kull » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:45 am

Kull grabs his axe and signals the others to halt the horses.
" I dont know what the hell that is. Lets just hope it sees as bad as we do.
I guess ill try to scare it off like i did with some wolves once and they were scared, like rabbits. Its worth a try. Just make sure the horses dont run off."
He takes a deep breath and lets out a roaring shout (at least he trys it to sounde like that) in an attempt to scare any possible threat.
intimidation check 1d20+1
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Class: Dungeon Master

Post by NeomerArcana » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:11 am

Kull there's no way to know if you've had any affect, none of you can see what's there.

Ludo you're unable to determine if there is a spell at work, let alone what the spell could be. However, you do recall some old stories of the swamps here being filled with horrible and evil creatures, and you also remember stories of mischievous creatures that live here and steal things from travelers; likely just stories. But there is an old tale you know parts of about a great hero who went into the swamps with a retinue of 100 men to quell a great evil. In the end only he returned along with a young woman that he went in to rescue. You believe the story goes that he married her and they lived happily ever after.

There's the sound of a branch snapping now followed by a very loud thud and then a second thud. The second one seems closer than the first.
Arlette Craven
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Post by Arlette Craven » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:25 am

Arlette feels her skin crawl, "I hope it's not damned spiders again" she says under her breath. She readies her crossbow and looks to Brown Dog and Bern for any hint of what is coming towards them.

Listen check
1d20+6

Spot check
1d20+5
Kull
Race: Half-Orc
Class: 1st lvl figther

Post by Kull » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:32 am

Kulls knuckles start to turn pale as he grabs his axe as thight as possible. He gets a light feeling of panic as this is something he has never expirenced something this unnatural. With a slight tone of fear he speaks : "This is bad.... very bad. I cant see a damm thing. Lets form a circle so we dont get a nasty suprise. And for our sake stay quiet, we cant see but our ears should work just fine". He then moves in postion nervously shifting his weight from one leg to the other expecting something he only ever saw in nightmares.
listen check 1d20+1
Grigori Steelbrow
Race: Dwarf
Class: 1st-lvl fighter

Post by Grigori Steelbrow » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:51 am

"Don't worry boyo, whatever is out there is sure to get a nasty surprise from us if it targets us."

Listen:
1d20-3