On the Trail to Southport

Locked
User avatar
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Posts: 535
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:17 pm
Race: Human
Class: Dungeon Master

On the Trail to Southport

Post by NeomerArcana » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:21 am

Okay guys, time to head to Southport.

It looks like the king is true to his word, as you travel south, you are overtaken by several mounted patrols. The kingsmen are back on the trails. You even pass an armed group setting up camp one afternoon, a brief and friendly conversation reveals that they are mercenaries in the employ of the Merchants Guild, paid to guard the road. Along the way you notice there's a lot more traffic than normal, a lot of friendly peasants off to see family they haven't seen for a while. The mood of the kingdom seems a little lighter now that people can roam the trails again.

As you turn one corner of the road, around a little hillock, you come across one of the kings patrols taking cover behind a small embankment. One of them sees your group and motions for you to get down off your horses and to take cover off the road where they are. You all automatically obey and get the gist of the situation.

The patrol came across some bandits that they have chased to this old ruined watchtower on the side of the hill. The bandits in there are taking pot-shots with bolts and arrows at the kingsmen, who are having some difficulty in approaching the tower.

"We can't starve them out," says the captain. "We're too few to surround them, we need to get in there, but there's only this one approach, and they've got it well covered."

Arlette
8/8 HP
624gp 158sp 24cp + 2x Gemstone Necklaces (~700gp each)
3 rations
18 bolts
Kull
13/13 HP
715gp 9sp
5 rations
Grigori
24/26 HP
305gp
2 rations
Fenner
4/4 HP
314gp 6sp
1 rations
Light (0) - 1, Prestidigitation (0) - 1, Ray of Frost (0) - 1
Feather Fall (1) - 1, Mage Armor (1) - 1, Magic Missile (1) - 1
Kai Sylgeiros
18/18 HP
100gp
2 rations
40 Arrows
Ludo Fritzwick
12/12HP
144gp 9sp
7 rations
50 Bolts
Dancing Lights (0), Ghost Sound (0), Lullaby (0), Prestidigitation (0), Summon Instrument (0)
Charm Person (1), Sleep (1)
User avatar
Kull
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:17 pm
Race: Half-Orc
Class: 1st lvl figther

Re: On the Trail to Southport

Post by Kull » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:01 pm

Kull moves back to his horse grabbing his shield. He then moves to the Captain asking: How many men are in that tower ? And are you sure there is only one way to approach them ? He looks for a short time over the cover trying to locate the bandits and their fortifications. spot check(1d20+1)
Kull then waits for his group to work out a plan.
User avatar
Kai Sylgeiros
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:37 am
Race: Human
Class: 2nd-lvl Paladin

Re: On the Trail to Southport

Post by Kai Sylgeiros » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:21 am

Kai looks around at the group and the soldiers, "is there anyone that can climb the watchtower? If anyone can ive got rope that we could us to get more people into the watchtower without using the main gate."
User avatar
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Posts: 535
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:17 pm
Race: Human
Class: Dungeon Master

Re: On the Trail to Southport

Post by NeomerArcana » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:15 am

Kull, you spot a few of the bandits, popping up in holes in the wall, or over the old, worn down battlements. You see a total of four, but the captain tells you there was about ten of them.

Kai, the captain responds to you. "We've no rope. It would be difficult to sneak up on their side without them noticing too."

Just so it's clear, there's little of the watchtower left. If the group is facing north, toward the watch tower, the southern and eastern walls are partially collapsed. This is where you can see the guys popping up and looking. The western and northern walls of the tower are standing. There's about 3 floors and then the top of the tower. You all have only seen one guy up at the top. The tower is on the edge of the top of the hill, the top of the hill is to the north east of the tower, so those walls are slightly shorter than the others. The area around the tower has small shrubs and rocks, but all trees are cleared in about a 50ft radius from the tower. The western side of the hill, about 60ft from the tower is a small copse of trees, the road (where you came from) goes around the western side of these trees.

Arlette
8/8 HP
624gp 158sp 24cp + 2x Gemstone Necklaces (~700gp each)
3 rations
18 bolts
Kull
13/13 HP
715gp 9sp
5 rations
Grigori
24/26 HP
305gp
2 rations
Fenner
4/4 HP
314gp 6sp
1 rations
Light (0) - 1, Prestidigitation (0) - 1, Ray of Frost (0) - 1
Feather Fall (1) - 1, Mage Armor (1) - 1, Magic Missile (1) - 1
Kai Sylgeiros
18/18 HP
100gp
2 rations
40 Arrows
Ludo Fritzwick
12/12HP
144gp 9sp
7 rations
50 Bolts
Dancing Lights (0), Ghost Sound (0), Lullaby (0), Prestidigitation (0), Summon Instrument (0)
Charm Person (1), Sleep (1)
User avatar
Grigori Steelbrow
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:06 am
Race: Dwarf
Class: 1st-lvl fighter

Re: On the Trail to Southport

Post by Grigori Steelbrow » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:22 pm

Grigori fetches his tower shield from their cart, then fixes his axe, light hammer, rope with the grapple hook, and bolas to his belt. After securing the bolas he grabs his portable ram by one of its handles before rejoining the group.
"Well then, haven't been geared for a raid in quite a while, though I shouldn't be too out of practice. If one of you is right behind me my shield ought to cover the both of us though I'd need at least two more to breach." Grigori looks to the soldiers waiting for a response.
User avatar
Kull
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:17 pm
Race: Half-Orc
Class: 1st lvl figther

Re: On the Trail to Southport

Post by Kull » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:18 am

Kull speaks up:I think without my armor i should be able to climb one of the broken walls with ease. You will need to cover me otherwise i will be spiked with bolts within seconds. I can most likley hold the wall long enough for the rest of you to climb the rope. What do you guys think. Kull gets ready to take off his armor so it will be easier for him to climb the wall.
User avatar
Arlette Craven
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:45 am
Race: Human
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Re: On the Trail to Southport

Post by Arlette Craven » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:37 pm

"Let me sneak up the western side where the trees are and take a look to give you a lay-out of the inside and how many to expect if I can, I'll hurry back"

Move silently check
1d20+6

Hide check
1d20+6
User avatar
Ludo Fritzwick
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:59 pm
Race: Gnome
Class: 2nd-level Bard

Re: On the Trail to Southport

Post by Ludo Fritzwick » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:06 am

Ludo sits around as the others make their plans, and watches as Arlette moves out to investigate. He chimes in with, "Perhaps I will be more useful in this situation? If you can get me closer, with some calming music, with a little bit of magic, I can put some, or maybe a majority, of if we're really lucky, all of them, to sleep? That would make all of our lives so much easier."

Before they can respond, his light hearted joking nature comes back too, "And as tempting as it would be to listen to my wonderful music, you would all need to cover your ears when I begin to play. Unless you fancy a nap as well?"
User avatar
Grigori Steelbrow
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:06 am
Race: Dwarf
Class: 1st-lvl fighter

Re: On the Trail to Southport

Post by Grigori Steelbrow » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:27 am

"If we can get a couple others with tower shields we could advance and possibly use your idea, Ludo. Though you wouldn't happen to have spare ear plugs on hand would you?"
User avatar
Kull
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:17 pm
Race: Half-Orc
Class: 1st lvl figther

Re: On the Trail to Southport

Post by Kull » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:10 am

Kull looks confused at the gnome. "Are you some sort of powerfull wizard ? How do you even do this ? If you are sure it works i can cover you until you can make you wizard stuff". He then cuts out a few strings of cloth out of his clothes and hands them to the party. "I think this should help staying awake".
Locked