In the quarters of The Sword of Pelor

Arlette Craven
Race: Human
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Re: In the quarters of The Sword of Pelor

Post by Arlette Craven » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:39 pm

Arlette focuses in on the hooded woman, What could she be hiding in that bag? Perhaps she is just like me, on the run from a wedding she wanted no part of...

Arlette decides to take a closer look at the contents of this woman's bag. If caught she intends to start a conversation, suspecting this woman to be much like herself. She would enjoy taking the money from the greedy merchant but he can wait, he'd be easier to steal from if he were a little drunker.

Sleight of hand check
1d20+11
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Class: Dungeon Master

Post by NeomerArcana » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:31 am

Arlette, the woman you're stealing from and three other people in the common room may have seen you. If any of them are higher than your roll, they have spotted you. Because you rolled so high, none of them can possibly beat your result.

So Arlette is now back at the table with a new backpack. You can look through it now, or high-tail it before she notices it is missing and starts looking around. It's a fairly large item, so she will likely notice it's missing fairly quickly.
Arlette Craven

Post by Arlette Craven » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:51 am

Arlette approaches Falias as the arm wrestling continues, "Friend, is there a private place I could briefly visit to attend to some, ah, private business?" she askes in a hushed tone.

DM If/when he agrees, shows her where to go she will shake his hand and slip 2gps into his hand as she thanks him.

Diplomacy check
1d20+4
NeomerArcana
Site Admin

Post by NeomerArcana » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:03 pm

Falias agrees while he deftly palms the gold. "Sure thing, lass," he says. "If anyone were to, err, be looking for ye', I'll tell 'em you left for a tavern down the road." With this he shows you into a storeroom behind him. There's a second door that locks from the inside in here that takes you into the a hallway that leads upstairs to your rooms, and then two exits, one to the street and a second exit to the back where the stables and yard are.

In the storeroom you rummage through the backpack. You find:
  1. 2 sticks of chalk
  2. A bullseye lantern
  3. 3 pints of oil (for the lantern)
  4. A few coins, 2gp, 6sp, 14cp (she must have had her purse on her)
  5. A brass coin. It has a different sigil and markings than the coins common in The Three Kingdoms.
  6. A cruel-looking dagger, inscribed with sharp-lined markings that look like writing of some kind. The handle is rough.
  7. A smooth, weighty stone, about the size of your hand. It has some runes carved into it.
  8. A carved, wooden ring. It has an intricate pattern of scrolls and books carved into it.
Arlette if you want to spent the time appraising the value of each item, roll an appraise check for each item you want to estimate price on (make sure you list the item with each roll).
Arlette Craven

Post by Arlette Craven » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:56 pm

Arlette checks the hallway beyond the door before locking the door, sitting down beside Brown Dog and carefully opening the bag. Without knowing the value of these items, Arlette immediately feels uncomfortable. To her, these look like the contents of a cult members bag; the chalk, perhaps to mark the way out of a cave; the lantern, perhaps to see your path through a dark cave; a cruel-dagger, perhaps to sacrifice innocents; a rune stone, perhaps intricate in the castings of a spell. I need to find Fenner, perhaps he knows what these symbols mean.

Listen check - for anyone perhaps sneaking up along the hallway, or for any sound for Falias that sounds like someone is after her.
1d20+6

She quickly judges the values of the items and finds something to draw the symbols on to show to Fenner. She then returns to the tavern, checking with Falias first to see that it's safe to return and if anyone inquired about her whereabouts. If safe, she will return the bag with all it's contents to the vicinity of the woman in the hope she perhaps thinks she mistook where she left her bag. She asks Falias to have one of his staff to return the bag, and if questioned to say it was found and they were returning it, no more. She returns to her group with an eye on the woman, to tell them of what she has uncovered, and to show them the symbols on the dagger, the ring, the stone, and the coin to see what they know.

DM Arlette appraises the following items. Can she also do some kind of knowledge check for them too? I've rolled if that is the case. I thought because of her background in selling items that maybe she would be able to recognise a coin from another kingdom from trading? If so, I would do a knowledge check on the brass coin too, let me know.

Stone appraise check
1d20+8
Knowledge
1d20+3

Ring appraise check
1d20+8
Knowledge
1d20+3

Dagger appraise check
1d20+8
Knowledge
1d20+3

Coin appraise check
1d20+8
Knowledge
1d20+3
NeomerArcana
Site Admin

Post by NeomerArcana » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:33 pm

Arlette, Falias nods and indicates that he will do as told, though he seems a little uncomfortable. He lets you know that the woman hadn't noticed her bag missing, it's only been just under 10 minutes since you took the bag. Your best guess as to the value of the items:
  1. Stone - about 5cp. To your eye it's just a stone with some nice writing on it
  2. Ring - you cannot even begin to guess at the value
  3. Dagger - 302gp. It's definitely a well-made dagger, weighted well, with a quality blade
  4. Coin - like the ring, you can't tell
Arlette returns to the table and shows the others the images that she has drawn while hastily explaining the situation.

Grigory, you instantly recognise the runes that were on the stone. It's dwarvish writing, sort of old style that you might find in religious texts, but it says: "Stone of Healing. Use force. 75% success rate.".

Kull, the markings on the dagger are orcish. They say, "Always the biggest in the room".
Kull
Race: Half-Orc
Class: 1st lvl figther

Post by Kull » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:05 am

Kull looks at the dagger and frowns. Its unnatrual for a ork to call such a small weapon big or to claim its always the biggest in the room. Kull takes the dagger and does a few swings with it then testing its sharpness by poking his hand and drawing a little blood. He trys to remember if he know something about such daggers
knowledge check (1d20-2) he then waits a bit and returns it to Arlette.
NeomerArcana
Site Admin

Post by NeomerArcana » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:42 am

Kull, you can't do any of that. Arlette had Falias return the bag with everything in it.
Arlette Craven

Post by Arlette Craven » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:44 am

"Friends, please tell me what these things mean, I fear they belong to a member of the cult we have encountered before and if so, I can take these items from her and we can perhaps take her to the church or guards to deal with. What should we do?"
Grigori Steelbrow
Race: Dwarf
Class: 1st-lvl fighter

Post by Grigori Steelbrow » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:17 am

Grigori, finally failing to contain his amusement, lets out a hearty chuckle and says, "A stone of healing, eh? Haven't seen one since I was a child. Friends and I would throw 'em at one another and our parents would rarely know, HAHA! Oh, good times."