Finding the Cult

The first of many adventures to come
Arlette Craven
Race: Human
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Re: Finding the Cult

Post by Arlette Craven » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:31 pm

"Let's get a good nights rest and head off in the morning, I don't plan to be caught out in the wilderness in these parts so poorly prepared... I'm sure the priests will have somewhere we can rest."
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Class: Dungeon Master

Post by NeomerArcana » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:35 am

The group returns to the castle and finds lodging with the church. You're taken to a disused wing that protrudes into the mountain. The halls and rooms here, there's not many of them, are attempted to be as well-lit as the rest of the church is, but it's hard to get daylight underground. Still, the air is clean and dry, not the usual air you'd expect underground. These are the old quarters of The Sword, and so it seemed only fitting that you would be given these rooms while in the service.

Father Klavin has spent the time you were at the graveyard consulting with his peers in Rivendale. There, in Rivendale, under the Grand Temple of Pelor is a library. Here, one of the scholars found reference to a ritual of Hextor which is used to bring those who perform it good tidings. Exactly what they get is not clear, though it appears that mostly they get recognised by Hextor and he would then show favour to them. It is a starting Ritual which once performed can lead to many more rituals, each more sinister than the last. The final ritual that can be cast depends on which branch of the ritual tree the performers decide to go with, none of the final rituals are something that can be allowed to be performed, nor can many of the lesser rituals that need to be performed prior. It's clear that this is the ritual this cult is working toward as it requires four bodies, two living and two dead.

It appears that the ritual must be performed tomorrow night.

I'll give you guys the opportunity here to ask any follow-up questions from Klavin, or do anything else you want to do ahead of stopping the cult.
NeomerArcana
Site Admin

Post by NeomerArcana » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:46 pm

Okay guys, let me know which bedroom each of you will be taking. Feel free to share rooms if you're so inclined. Fera will pick last. In addition, can everyone please roll a Listen check.
The Sword Headquarters.PNG
Click to enlarge
Grigori Steelbrow
Race: Dwarf
Class: 1st-lvl fighter

Post by Grigori Steelbrow » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:17 pm

"I'll go ahead and get comfortable in the far bed on this first room," Grigori says as he heads for bedroom one.

Listen (untrained)
1d20-3
Fenner Bates
Class: 1st-lvl Transmuter

Post by Fenner Bates » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:45 pm

Fenner meanders through the area eventually coming to rest in the last room. (Bed 4)

Listen (Untrained):
1d20+3
Kull
Race: Half-Orc
Class: 1st lvl figther

Post by Kull » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:26 am

Kull takes a short look around before going towards the kitchen to rest in front of the hopefully still warm oven.
listen check 1d20+1
Arlette Craven

Post by Arlette Craven » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:24 pm

Being in the sword headquarters, Arlette steps away from the others early during dinner to look around. She spends some time searching the library, hoping to find some helpful scrolls, books or maps on the cult going-ons, or previous cult activity records and history. After this she moves to the workshop to rifle through some draws, open cupboards, lift papers, looking for any useful items or information that again they can use on their travels tomorrow.

She returns to the group as they finish dinner. "Fera, you should bunk with Grigori, these cult members have snuck up on us before, I don't think it wise to spread out or be alone..." she looks across to Kull "you're probably alright." She imitates some boxing moves before addressing Fenner "I'll take the room next to yours old man, perhaps our animal companions will help alert us if anything untoward were to come our way, though I hope you have some kind of special old man magics to get us out of a sticky situation, should it arise."

Search check
1d20+6

Listen check
1d20+6
NeomerArcana
Site Admin

Post by NeomerArcana » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:26 pm

Arlette and Fenner you can roll a listen check for your animals. I'll post an update tomorrow.
Arlette Craven

Post by Arlette Craven » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:28 pm

Brown dog listen check
1d20+1
Fenner Bates
Class: 1st-lvl Transmuter

Post by Fenner Bates » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:45 pm