Finding the Cult

The first of many adventures to come
Grigori Steelbrow
Race: Dwarf
Class: 1st-lvl fighter

Re: Finding the Cult

Post by Grigori Steelbrow » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:29 am

Taken slightly aback by the sudden yelling, Grigori follows suit and rushes the nearest cultist, going for a clean downward strike.

To hit
1d20+2

Dwarven War Axe dmg (just in case)
1d10

DM ignore the 1d20+4 roll, I had forgotten about the -2 I get on rolls to hit from my tower shield
Arlette Craven
Race: Human
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Post by Arlette Craven » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:17 am

"Oh Kull you wondrous brute, you'll be the death of me. Help me now, Olidammara" Arlette pauses briefly before running in after her companions.

Arlette runs to 11:06 and fires her crossbow at the last cultist standing at 13:11

To hit
1d20+3

Damage
1d8+1
Fenner Bates
Class: 1st-lvl Transmuter

Post by Fenner Bates » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:21 am

Fenner steps up to the corner next to Arlette and lets the prepared Ray of Frost fly after taking aim at the closest cultist.

Ranged Attack
1d20-3
Damage
1d3
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Class: Dungeon Master

Post by NeomerArcana » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:30 am

Everyone ordinarily, you would have a surprise round, but because Kull is using the opportunity to try and Intimidate your opponents, and because an Inimidate check is usually a standard action against a single opponent, I'm going to sacrifice everyone's surprise round action for Kull's group-wide intimidate check (you're all running in after him so it makes some sense).

Kull bellows wildy as he crashes into the cavern, weilding his great two-hadnded waraxe. He brushes past the first cultist and runs mercillessly toward the second. The cultist stares wide-eyed at the half-orc terror bearing down on him, unable to move, shaken to the very core of his soul. Kull barely comes to a stop as his mighty arms bring the waraxe down on top of the man.

Kull rolled a natural 20 so we need to confirm the crit and roll damage. I'll roll these for him to keep the game moving.
1d20+6
1d12+7
NeomerArcana
Site Admin

Post by NeomerArcana » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:37 am

Kull's blade connects with the top of the cultists head and wiftly moves down to the ground as if through nothing but air. The waraxe makes a mighy ring like a bell as it strikes the stone floor, sparks flying briefly. The cultists stands there momentarily, a look of absolute shock on his face, before both halves of him slowly peel away from each other and fall to the ground.

Kull your damage was x3, so you basically just like... obliterated that guy.

Grigori is the next to run into the cave. With the first cultist momentarily distracted by Kull, Grigori has no problem defly striking the hooded figure and swiftly bringing him to an end.

Arlette and Fenner enter together, both pausing to take swift aim. Arlette's bolt misses her chosen target, and she quickly looks around the room and decides that he is the last threat. An icely blast of magic strikes the final cultist from Fenner. The man howls in pain but he doesn't go down. He backs away toward the walls of the cavern, laughing.

Fera is the last to enter. He stands near the entrance of the cavern, alert and ready. He sees the final cultist and fires his bow.

1d20+3
1d6
NeomerArcana
Site Admin

Post by NeomerArcana » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:38 am

Confirm Fera's crit
1d20+3
NeomerArcana
Site Admin

Post by NeomerArcana » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:40 am

The final cultist takes the arrow to the chest and slumps against the wall, dying. All the while still laughing.
NeomerArcana
Site Admin

Post by NeomerArcana » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:58 am

As the group looks around the room, no more cultists can be seen. The air in here feels heavy, sound seems muted, and it is oddly warm.

The bones near the center of the ritual begin to stir. They twist on their ends, lifting themselves up over each other, rotating and spinning along their lengths, assembling themselves into something different to what it was in life. Dark tendrils of black-inky smoke roll up the sides of the bones, connecting them like tendons and muscles. After only a brief few seconds, it has formed a short, vaguely humanoid form.

It surveys the room quickly with hollow eyes that shine an unholy blue-white light. It fixates on the two bodies and then to the dead cultists, and finally to the group. It takes a lumbering step forward.

Everyone, you are now fighting this... thing. Combat will occur with Players first and then the thing. The order you post in is the order combat takes place in.
Cult Cave.PNG
Grigori Steelbrow
Race: Dwarf
Class: 1st-lvl fighter

Post by Grigori Steelbrow » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:19 am

"Well that's a new one," Grigori says slightly puzzled. He then attempts to vault over the altar onto the circle beyond it, taking care to damage the circle as much as possible. Upon landing, he takes a swing at the animate pile of bones.

To hit
1d20+2

DWA dmg
1d10

DM are there any further roles needed and am I trying to do too much at once?
NeomerArcana
Site Admin

Post by NeomerArcana » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:35 am

Grigori because you're vaulting, I'll sort of consider it a jump check, DC is 10. You have 2 ranks in Jump, and you have +3 to Strength (so +5 total). But you're wearing Scale Mail, which has a -4 Armor Check Penalty, and you have a Heavy Steel Shield, which also has a -2 Armor Check Penalty (for a total penalty of -6). In total, your Jump check is -1. You got a little less than 50% chance of making the vault. Failure means you look a little silly and remain where you are.