Within the Guardhouse of Avim

The first of many adventures to come
Hragg
Race: Dwarf
Class: Cleric of Clangeddin

Re: Within the Guardhouse of Avim

Post by Hragg » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:35 pm

Hragg shakes his head. Humans were always trouble, even those with golden souls. The dwarf didn't like the nobleman, but then again, Hragg didn't like many people.

Hragg stayed quiet during the interview, answering only questions directed at him specifically. He knew he didn't have a golden tongue and too often he talked himself into worse trouble than if he had just been silent.

He perks up a little at the mention of food, however. Perhaps some ale would be available, as well.

As the party was being released, Hragg would sidle up next to Hilda. "What were those bodies? I don't like the idea we were traveling with bodies without knowing it."
Hilda Hearthstone
Race: Human
Class: 1st-lvl Cleric

Post by Hilda Hearthstone » Wed May 01, 2019 12:49 am

Hilda leans into Hragg, "I feel foolish that all of us didn't know that we're traveling with bodies. But with all this talk of undead dangers, we may have been party to something dreadful. It just makes me sick. Landowe is quite the character. We've better go with the Lord and get real food. We'd be exceptionally foolish missing a meal like that!" With that, she winks at Hragg and walks off to follow those going to the Lord's home.

During the meal, Hilda studies each foodstuff that is presented and will constantly interrogate each server that brings her food. At the end of the meal, she asks the Lord if he'd be opposed to her visiting with his chef to speak of the meal that was prepared and what else he's got in the kitchen.

The next day, Hilda will do her devotions and buy 2 Days Trail Rations. DM, does Hilda have her equipment? She wants to go to the cleric that treated Landowe and explain what he gave her to see if it's something malicious. What rolls would you like me to do?
Kull
Race: Half-Orc
Class: 1st lvl figther

Post by Kull » Wed May 01, 2019 2:17 am

Kull doesnt mind to get free food at all but he knows that men in fancy clothes often talk wierd and about confusing topics. Kull says to the noble: thanks invitaion tiny man but i think its better for us if i am not there. he then adds :if you could save some ale and food for me please do. he then procceds to walk off to the sleeping giant in hope to find an acctuall giant a unseen ceature to him and with some luck find some ale and a interisting action wheter its a dice game or a brawl.
als ohe things about asking around for a new employer since landowe might be not abel to pay him and it will be difficult for him to get access to his goods.
speech check1d20-3
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Class: Dungeon Master

Post by NeomerArcana » Wed May 01, 2019 6:25 pm

Arlette you see no ulterior motive behind Lord Hargraves invitation.

Arlette, Elec, Hilda and Hragg all attend the lords manor to dine and revive yourselves with his hospitality. It is a pleasant meal filled with pleasant conversation. You learn some more of the troubles, the lord, as the appointed ruler of this hamlet, is privvy to some small amount of sensitive intelligence from the king. It appears that there is some financial matter between the merchants guild and the king of Kalindar that is yet to be settled, and as a kind of bargaining chip, the king has removed patrols from the northern road. Apparently, despite the rumors, the road from here to Threerun and Lavender are quite safe. It is only here in Avim and then on to the west, Barlowe, Carrington and Westwatch that the patrols have been removed. As these Trails don't make up the major trade routes, it's thought that it is merely a threat to the merchants guild.

In turn, the Merchants Guild is thought to act out on some kind of embargo of the Great Nothern Kingdom of Kalindar. Though surely that would cripple them as much as the king. Why, Landowe's presence tells us as much... though his cargo isn't quite natural. Hopefully we will learn more from Father Cedril in the morn.

As the conversation turns toward the Lord and his role in town he becomes short with his answers, clearly it's not a topic he wishes to discuss much. It's clear that he believes that as a nobleman of some rank he should have been stationed somewhere else, perhaps in the court of the king, but alas, he does as commanded by his rightful king and so rule and oversee Avim he shall. He has improved the harvest this year.

Avim doesn't really have much history to speak of. It's a tiny remote town, just a stop along the Trails to somewhere more interesting.

During the course of the evening, Arlette you manage to steal a coin purse, just sitting out in the open, which contains 100 silver pieces. You also manage to steal two very nice peices of jewerly, gemstones fitted in very fine silver necklaces (you estimate their value to be about 700gp each, very nice).

Hilda during the meal you notice that the food is fairly lacklustre. This is the lords house, but the lord of a tiny village is not much of a lord at all, so while this is probably the best food in town, you yourself have made better. You invite yourself to the kitchen but find nothing interesting or new compared to the way dwarves prepare their own meals. However, the cook does make mention that she was visited by one of the Kings chefs as they passed through two years ago on a tour of the kingdom, and while it's clear to you that this cook learned nothing from the chef, you have learned that the Kings Chef is named Avel'myythspar.

Come the morning you all feel very rested, clean, and well-fed. Arlette you learn nothing new around town except that everyone knows about the magically asleep bodies and that you all brought them in to town unknowingly. You have also heard rumor that despite what Lord Hargraves says, the road is trouble to the west and the east.

You all meet up outside The Sleeping Giant, merely by chance, and meet up with Kull.

(Kull while the adventure continues on, we can still play out last night in the tavern if you wish)

Alder strides down the road towards you and asks you to see Father Cedril up in the church on the hill. It appears that Lord Hargraves is waiting for you all up there as well.

(any purchases, add them to your character sheets and subtract the relevant amounts of gold)

You all arrive as a group up the path to the church. You are greeted by a middle-aged woman who introduces herself as Sister Bernedette, who takes you inside. Here you find Father Cedril, Lord Hargraves, Landowe and the other two bodies, all still unconscious; along with one of the guards from yesterday.

"Morning to you all," says Father Cedril. "I'm afraid we've been unable to do anything for these two," he motions to the bodies. "And your employer is fine, it will be some time before he is well again."

"We have an ask of you," interrupts Hargraves. "We need you to travel to Kalindar, to the Temple of Pelor."

"Yes," cuts in Father Cedril. "I am not powerful enough to help these two, but I believe Father Sessop, the head of my order, will be able to help. I am afraid that this is a dark magic."

"So we ask," says Hargraves. "That you take them to Kalindar. To the Temple. You may take Landowe's covered wagon and horses, but we will keep his goods here with him, under guard, until the truth of this matter can be resolved."

"We know it is a lot to ask," says Sister Bernedette after a moment of silence.

"Yes, a lot," replies Father Cedril. "And so Father Sessop will offer payment for your services when you arrive in the capital. Considering the journey, and the cargo, I'm sure he will pay 500gp for each of you. Although you don't worship the god of light, I'm sure you two priests will be able to care for and protect these helpless people on the journey."

I'll leave it there for you all to ask any questions or make any requests before we continue on the adventure.
Kull

Post by Kull » Wed May 01, 2019 8:07 pm

Kull listens to the priest still a littel hungover and he brabels out : why do you care so much about 2 people who are not awake, people die all the time. if you expect me to carry 2 bodies through half of the kingdom pay me in advance. He clearly doesnt like the idea of transporting to bodys of unkown origin since he could be taken for a slaver or worse but then 500 gold is a lot of money
Arlette Craven
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Post by Arlette Craven » Wed May 01, 2019 9:19 pm

Arlette agrees with Kull, "the orc-man is right, and you know you are asking a lot of us. We've not been paid by our previous employer who turned out to be transporting people under some kind of curse, and you do not sound convincing when you say you're sure they would reward us for the effort." She shakes her head slowly. How did she get messed up in a couple of bodies when she was looking for easy coin to keep ahead of the dreaded wedding march.

"Tell us, I have heard more of issues with the king and the merchants, I've heard that the roads ahead are just as bad as the ones we left and we arrived here with our employer in very bad shape. What do you know of the route? What is the benefit for us in risking our lives again for a swindler who carried two bodies? For all we know you could be part of whatever body trade this is."

She looks each of them in the eye and pauses on Father Cedril, "perhaps you should send one of your men here with us, Grant or Alder perhaps?" she asks, curious to see just how important this journey is to them.

Sense motive check to determine if they're being truthful
1d20+7
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Class: Dungeon Master

Post by NeomerArcana » Wed May 01, 2019 9:29 pm

Father Cedril seems shocked. "My good woman, you couldn't possibly think a man of the light such as myself could be a part of this?"

"We can't spare anyone," Hargraves adds. "You're right, the roads are dangerous at the present. There's nothing confirmed from the east, but it's also not patrolled, so maybe it is as bad. Or maybe not. A Merchant arrived two days ago from the east and mentioned nothing of bad travel. We can't spare anyone because we need to protect the town."

"But if it's coin you need, I will pay you 400gp each, today, to get these people to Kalindar. Surely you understand that we can't help them? What will it take to get you to help those poor souls?"

"Plus the 500 pieces from Kalindar when you arrive," adds Father Cedril. "I will send a note with you, with my seal, asking to reward you as such."

Arlette, you detect nothing untruthful in what they are telling you.
Arlette Craven
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Post by Arlette Craven » Wed May 01, 2019 9:42 pm

Arlette looks at the others in the party, she winks at Kull, "900gp, sound like a fair offer?"

She turns to Father Cedril, "give us what you have offered and we can set out at first light, assuming the others agree"
Kull

Post by Kull » Wed May 01, 2019 9:48 pm

Kull almlost starts drooling getting paid so much for transporting a few bodies is like a dream to him. its impossible to oversee the greed in his eyes.He looks over to Arlette and hastliy agrees yes that sounds reasonable bring the gold and the note and we will be on our way.
Hragg
Race: Dwarf
Class: Cleric of Clangeddin

Post by Hragg » Wed May 01, 2019 10:48 pm

Hragg smiles to himself. Yes, keeping quiet and listening has just earned him an extra 400 pieces of gold! Still, he would prefer to examine the bodies himself. He was no expert, but he had some training in religion and healing. Perhaps he might see something to help explain whether these people were affected by a curse, or poison, or disease, or something else.

"Might I take a moment to look over the afflicted?" He asks.

If given permission he examines the bodies.

HeaL cHeck [1d20+5]KnowLedge-ReLigion cHeck [1d20+6]

"I do not like it, but we must do as asked. We cannot allow this ... condition to spread."