Outside the Three Dancers Inn

The first of many adventures to come
Hilda Hearthstone
Race: Human
Class: 1st-lvl Cleric

Re: Outside the Three Dancers Inn

Post by Hilda Hearthstone » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:53 am

DM, I don't think that last roll was right.
1d20+4
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Class: Dungeon Master

Post by NeomerArcana » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:58 am

Hilda your Spot check is a more passive thing. To look around the camp you do a Search check. There's not a lot of time before it's too dark, so roll a search check. If there was a lot of time, for example, you had all day, we would just say that you Take 20 which just means we assume you kept rolling until you rolled a 20 (without watching you roll the dice until you did so).

So please roll a search check now. Which is a -1. I'm Not sure where you got a +4 on your second roll, your spot is a +3.
Arlette Craven
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Post by Arlette Craven » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:34 am

Sense motive check
1d20+7

Arlette sees Hilda searching around the camp. She can't have lost something already, we just got here, she thought to herself.

"What are you looking for? Would you like some help?"

Arlette will search the area as well, just to see what's around, as well as listen out for anything, animals rustling around perhaps, or any creatures trying to sneak by speaking a language she understands.

Search check
1d20+6

Listen check
1d20+6

Spot check
1d20+5
Last edited by Arlette Craven on Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Elec
Race: Half-Elf
Class: 1st-lvl Ranger

Post by Elec » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:35 am

Sense motive check
1d20+1

Elec is going to lay out his bed roll in preparation for the night. After doing that he is staying on guard to look out for any threats.

Spot check
1d20+4

Listen check
1d20+4
NeomerArcana
Site Admin

Post by NeomerArcana » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:59 am

Hilda you manage to find a few herbs that you recognise and you dig up a few edible tubers. Landowe let's you sample some of the spices, he fetches them himself from the wagon. One of them is a earth-red powder that springs to life on the tongue; the other is a dirty-yellow grain that dissolves in liquid, forming a paste. It has an acidic taste to it, mixed with a pepper. You set to work on preparing as best a meal you can based on what you have available, which is really just dried fruit and meat from the trail rations. By your estimation the meal is passable, better than what the group would have had, but the lack of ingredients has impacted what you could do.

Arlette you search around the area and spot a stick insect. Upon closer inspection it's just a stick.

Elec you don't hear or see anything for now.

Unless told otherwise, I will make the watch order like this, starting from when everyone is in bed. Prior to this, Elec appears to be on guard:
  1. Elec
  2. Hragg
  3. Arlette
  4. Hilda
  5. Kull
Arlette and Elec please also remember to update your character sheets with the bolts you have fired. At these low-levels tracking things like this is important for survival. Everyone please subtract a trail ration from what you have available as well. You can all just edit your first post in your character sheet to feature your final Character Sheet and just comment in the post with what's been removed.
Hilda Hearthstone

Post by Hilda Hearthstone » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:03 pm

As Hilda isn't really too concerned with what's around, more out of curiosity, she'll settle for making a dinner that's better than just plain trail rations. While looking around camp for foodstuffs, she turns to Arlette, noticing that she was looking around also, "Arlette, I know this may look like I'm lost or lost something but really just looking for something to add to our meal. I hope that you enjoy what I'm preparing! May it give you strength!"

The spices Landowe that Landowe brought out were new and exciting! "What are the names of such lovely spices?", asked Hilda of Landowe. "May I have some of these spices? Not for free, of course, I'd be happy to pay for some, but just enough to make at least one more meal?"

Making a meal for camp made Hilda glow with warmth and happiness. It may have been simple, but better than plain old rations. When she hands out the plates of food, she smiled and winked when she handed a plate to the male dwarf.

DM, while looking around and such, Hilda got to thinking about those zombies and the magic that created them. Can I do a Knowledge Arcana check to see what comes to mind?
Knowledge Arcana Roll
1d20-1
NeomerArcana
Site Admin

Post by NeomerArcana » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:13 pm

Hilda, you can't make a Knowledge check because it's a "trained only" skill and you haven't got any ranks in it.
NeomerArcana
Site Admin

Post by NeomerArcana » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:27 pm

Hilda, Landowe happily gives you two small pouches of the spices. "I don't know the names, or at least I've forgotten how to pronounce it," he says. "You can take these for free, think of it as a bonus for those dead things. I suspect the marketplace in Karindar will name them."
Hilda Hearthstone

Post by Hilda Hearthstone » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:34 pm

Hilda jumps with Glee! "Thank you, kind Sir! Make sure you wash your hands before you go relieve yourself. That earth red powder might sting ya alittle bit!" With a short laugh, smile and a wink, Hilda turns to store the spice packets in her backpack before unrolling her bedroll by the fire to get rest before her watch.
NeomerArcana
Site Admin

Post by NeomerArcana » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:37 pm

Each of you takes your turn at watch, none of you hear or see anything in the dark out of the ordinary. It's a cold night, but the campfire gives you some warmth and comfort.

The morning sun reveals a fog that clings to the edge of the forest and limits visibility. The grass is wet underfoot from the morning dew. Landowe is early to rise, having had a good nights sleep, knowing that each of you were watching over him.

"Alright, let's get moving!" he loudly declares. His voice sounds muted in the morning mist.

Each of you packs up your belongings and rolls up your bedroll, taking your assigned positions either on or around the cart; agreeing once again to take turns. Landowe resumes his usual seat up on the drivers seat.

"We've got another two days of travel ahead of us before we get to Avim. Our next stop is another camp site by a river in the Craven Forest down the road a bit." he says as he gather the horses.

Before the horses can be hitched, two short, slender figures emerge from the Barlowe wood, both armed with a crossbow and a sword at their side, they make no attempt to hide their presence. They have light hair and skin and wear green and grey tunics and pants. Both are barefoot. Those of you who've met Halflings before recognise them as likely halflings, but they seem taller than usual.

"Ho there!" one calls out, looping his crossbow on his belt, the other does the same. "How do you fare this mornin'? Fancy a bit of trade?"

"Of course!" calls out Landowe. "Approach, welcome friends! I'm always up for bit of trade."

Landowe and the two tall halfings sit on logs near the smoking remains of last night campfire and converse in a langauge most of you don't understand. Arlette they are talking in Halfling, nothing really interesting, just discussing the weather and then what each has to trade. It appears that the halflings wish to buy a few odds and ends: rope, wax, string, nails and they've asked if he has a bag of holding for sale, which he responds that he doesn't but he has the rest. They're discussing the price.

One of the Halflings stands at this point and walks around the camp, smiling at you all and nodding a greeting. "Where are you all off to then?" he asks politely.