Who's left?

Ask for help, offer suggestions to other players, and just general chat.
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Race: Human
Class: Dungeon Master

Re: Who's left?

Post by NeomerArcana » Thu May 07, 2020 2:17 pm

Ludo Fritzwick wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 10:57 pm
I apologise for my absence recently - I've definitely been enjoying it. I started a new course within the last couple weeks, so all my time got sapped away. I'm finally back at balancing commitments/social better though (despite the circumstances), so I ought to be back on top of things. Reasonably so anyway. But I swear I am around ahaha.
What course?
Ludo Fritzwick
Race: Gnome
Class: 2nd-level Bard

Post by Ludo Fritzwick » Fri May 08, 2020 9:06 am

NeomerArcana wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 2:17 pm
What course?
Its a full stack software development diploma. So, Ive just been finishing up on my front end modules. Nothing super fancy or complicated, just html/css so far, but got to start somewhere! Ill move onto python/django eventually, which Im quite excited to do.
Its quite a chance from my background in archaeology (of all things), so Im excited for the career change (or more accurately, actually doing something employable)
NeomerArcana
Site Admin

Post by NeomerArcana » Sat May 09, 2020 12:43 pm

You'll find that there's jobs out there for webdevs but in my experience it's not as in demand as you think. It's a bit like... it's in demand, but they always want someone with 10 years experience and pay them a new grad pay. Unfortunately, in my country, we have massive immigration, so there's always someone fresh off the boat with 10 years experience willing to do the job.

Just, as a bit of an aside, if while you're learning you want to make an interesting project, I'd suggest making a game. Nothing quite touches on every possilbe aspect of development like game programming does. If that's something you think you might do, one of my other websites is https://indiegamedev.net where there's a forum you can possibly get help etc.
Ludo Fritzwick
Race: Gnome
Class: 2nd-level Bard

Post by Ludo Fritzwick » Wed May 13, 2020 10:53 am

Yes! I agree with what youre saying, I made sure to do my research before signing up for the course, wanted to make sure it was money well spent - for example, most/all the course material can be found online for free, but the structure and support is whats paid for, and Im finding that incredibly helpful.

But I do also agree that there arent as many opportunities as some ads would lead you to believe, however its more than an archaeology MSc is getting me. And whilst im glad i followed a passion, time to be pragmatic too. Whatever happens, it ought to help me in some way.

And thats really helpful advice, thanks for the link! I really appreciate it and Ill check it out
Kull
Race: Half-Orc
Class: 1st lvl figther

Post by Kull » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:29 pm

Sorry for not being active the last few days. A pipe broke in my familys house and took out our router as well. As I don't have tons of mobile data I will probably be inactive for a couple of days. I hope this is not a big problem.
Arlette Craven
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Post by Arlette Craven » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:14 am

I think we've all gone through a bit of on and off activity lately, apologies for mine as well! I look forward to everyone's posts, we've got a fun group I think :D
NeomerArcana
Site Admin

Post by NeomerArcana » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:21 pm

Yeah; I've been a bit swamped with... well just a bit negligent. Let's keep things moving; I'll give you all a free friendly bison, you probably need a custom harness and a cart to make the best use of it.