Feedback

Ask for help, offer suggestions to other players, and just general chat.
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Race: Human
Class: Dungeon Master

Feedback

Post by NeomerArcana » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:29 am

Now that combat has completed, rather quickly to be honest, I wanted to get everyone's feedback on how things are going and any suggestions you may have. Some things I'm mulling over:
  • We could do away with Initiative, with either the monsters or players going first based on the highest initiative modifier. I.e. if the monsters have a +5 and one of you has a +3, then the monsters go first. This way I can declare the order of turn very quickly
  • Player order could just be based on who posts first rather than your actual initiative. This would make your decisions a lot easier and you would be making very clear and informed decisions, you can still use readied actions etc. The problem I have with this is that it takes away one of the character traits of having good initiative; and I can't think of a way to make it up to those players.
Hilda Hearthstone
Class: 1st-lvl Cleric

Re: Feedback

Post by Hilda Hearthstone » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:12 pm

I think I like Option #2, via posts because even with the best modifiers, someone can still roll a 1. Also, if someone can't reply in a timely manner (I'm 17 hours different, thanks for the patience btw) this can help supplement that issue and can maybe move things along a little faster. That's just my opinion. :)
NeomerArcana
Site Admin

Post by NeomerArcana » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:39 pm

Hilda Hearthstone wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:12 pm
I think I like Option #2, via posts because even with the best modifiers, someone can still roll a 1. Also, if someone can't reply in a timely manner (I'm 17 hours different, thanks for the patience btw) this can help supplement that issue and can maybe move things along a little faster. That's just my opinion. :)
Agreed. I think a players naturally high initiative will simply help the group get their moves before the monsters.
Arlette Craven
Class: 1st-lvl Rogue

Post by Arlette Craven » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:04 pm

And if anyone feels they are going first too often they can simply hold back for another player to go first. I think that you can still roll for the creatures, but rather than initiative, maybe roll 1d6 to figure out when they go - so a result of 4 means the creatures move 4th so you'd wait until 3 Ayers have posted, assuming our group has seen them and it's not a sneak attack or such. Does that make sense?
Hilda Hearthstone
Class: 1st-lvl Cleric

Post by Hilda Hearthstone » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:14 pm

That's not a bad idea, Arlette. 8-)
NeomerArcana
Site Admin

Post by NeomerArcana » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:35 pm

Arlette Craven wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:04 pm
And if anyone feels they are going first too often they can simply hold back for another player to go first. I think that you can still roll for the creatures, but rather than initiative, maybe roll 1d6 to figure out when they go - so a result of 4 means the creatures move 4th so you'd wait until 3 Ayers have posted, assuming our group has seen them and it's not a sneak attack or such. Does that make sense?
This would only work if I managed to catch it before everyone posted, which I think in most cases I would. What I think I'll do is roll everyone's initiative behind the screen and get the average player initiative vs the average monster initiative. Then everyone takes turns as a group, first to post has their action first. But, I'll also roll for when the monsters "enter" the combat as Arlette suggests.