4d6-L
4d6-L
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Race: Human
Class: Dungeon Master

Re: Character creation

Post by NeomerArcana » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:31 pm

Okay; so now choose your Race and Class, and then assign your ability scores with the bonuses/penalties. Let me know if you need some help deciding.
Celaena
Race: Select
Class:

Post by Celaena » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:39 pm

Half-elf Druid
Wis: 16
Con: 15
Dex: 13
Int: 13
Cha: 13
Str: 10

I don't think I have any bonuses/penalties?
NeomerArcana
Site Admin

Post by NeomerArcana » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:06 am

No, half-elves have no penalties or bonuses.

Next, you're going to need to chose your feat and assign your skill points. You're starting as a level 2 character, so you get 4+INT x5 skill points. With your 13 (+1) INT score, you therefore get 25 skill points to spend as you wish (remember class skills cost 1 point for each rank, cross-class skills cost 1 point for a half-rank).
Celaena
Class:

Post by Celaena » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:51 pm

Can you explain how skill points work?
NeomerArcana
Site Admin

Post by NeomerArcana » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:52 pm

Sure; first, you have 25 skill points to spend.

There is a list of skills that you can find here: https://www.d20srd.org/indexes/skills.htm

Every class has a list of skills that are considered "class skills". This means that the skills in the classes "class skills list" just means "these are the skills that these people are good at".

For example, Rogues are good at Move Silently and Appraise. Fighters are not.

If a skill is not on your classes skill list, then it is considered a "cross-class skill".

Every Rank you have in a skill gets you a +1 when rolling dice for that skill. So if I have 5 ranks in Concentration, I will get a +5 to any dice I roll when doing a Concentration Check.

You have 25 skill points. It costs 1 skill point to get 1 rank in a class skill. I.e., every point you spend in a class-skill gets you a +1 to those checks. It costs 1 skill point to get 1/2 (half) rank in a cross-class skill; half-ranks round down so if I have 1.5 ranks in a skill, I only get a +1 to it. What this means, when you boil it down, is it costs you twice as much to improve cross-class skills. The gist of it is you normally stick to your class-skills to make the best use of your skill points; other members of the group will make up for what your character is not good at.

There is a limit to the number of ranks you can have in a skill. Max rank in a class-skill is your level (you're started at level 2) +3... so in your case 5 is the max number of ranks. Cross-class skills cap out at half this number, so you can have a max of 2.5 ranks in the cross class skills.
Celaena
Class:

Post by Celaena » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:12 pm

I'm not sure if this will be a good use of the skill points?

Feat: Natural Spell
Class Skills:
Concentration 5
Handle Animal 3
Knowledge (nature) 4
Listen 3
Spot 3
Spellcraft 3
Survival 2
Ride2
NeomerArcana
Site Admin

Post by NeomerArcana » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:12 am

Don't worry so much if it's a "good" selection of skills. What matters is that it's reflective of what your character is good at.

Okay; so you've chosen your Race, Class, 1st-Level Feat, Skills. Next you can roll your starting gold here in the forum and purchase your equipment. I believe starting gold for a Druid is 2d4 x10 (check the players handbook, I haven't got it with me). Add about 500gp to your roll as well; I suggest at a minimum you guy some armour, a weapon, a backpack and a waterskin.
Celaena
Class:

Post by Celaena » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:22 am

2d4
NeomerArcana
Site Admin

Post by NeomerArcana » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:49 pm

Cool; so you've got about 570gp to work with; which for a Druid is heaps and heaps.

Go through the equipment and pick out what you want. If you can afford it, you can have it.