Character Creation

All character sheets go in here please
Grigori Steelbrow
Race: Dwarf
Class: 1st-lvl fighter

Character Creation

Post by Grigori Steelbrow » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:24 pm

Sorry for any mistakes, I'm quite new to this.
4d6-L
4d6-L
4d6-L
4d6-L
4d6-L
4d6-L
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Race: Human
Class: Dungeon Master

Re: Character Creation

Post by NeomerArcana » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:51 am

That's good, you've figured out how to roll with no problem.

Have you thought up a Race / Class combo yet? Do you need some guidance?
Grigori Steelbrow

Post by Grigori Steelbrow » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:01 pm

I could likely use some guidance because I'm a bit unsure of a race/class combo I have in mind. I was looking online for playable 3.5e races and saw Aarakocra there but I've heard they can be a bit OP and had a nerf in mind. As for class though I was hoping for a rogue if we don't have too many.
NeomerArcana
Site Admin

Post by NeomerArcana » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:33 pm

Okay; so a good way to think of a race-class combo is to think about a famous fictional character (famous enough that I've heard of them anyway) that your character most resembles.

For example, if you tell me your character most resembles someone like "Harry Potter", then easily I'd say you're a "Wizard". Probably a human, but because he's small, maybe he's a Halfling or a Gnome.

If you said your character was most like... Gambit from the X-men, then I'd probably say your character is a Half-Elf Bard, or perhaps a Rogue, or even a Swashbuckler.

The easiest way to digest the options is to look at the http://d20srd.org website where it has the core Races and Classes listed. They're a good starting point for someone not too familiar with the game.

There are some combinations that "mechanically" work better than others. For example, because Half-Orcs get a -2 to both Intelligence and Charisma, they're generally not very good at being Wizards or Sorcerors. Not to say that they can't be, far from it, some of the best characters go "against the grain" so to speak. There's others, like for example, Dwarves who get a +2 to Constitution, which makes them great as Fighters for example. The SRD has all that info here.
Grigori Steelbrow

Post by Grigori Steelbrow » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:31 pm

Sorry for the delayed reply, but after looking through the list I was thinking of a dwarven fighter(sorry if it's a bit unoriginal). As for stat placement I was thinking something like this:

STR-17
CON-17 (15+2)
DEX-14
INT-10
WIS-5
CHA-4 (6-2)

I did take the liberty of applying racial modifiers so I apologize if I did so incorrectly.
Fenner Bates
Class: 1st-lvl Transmuter

Post by Fenner Bates » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:50 pm

This very squishy wizard appreciates this choice. :D
NeomerArcana
Site Admin

Post by NeomerArcana » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:51 pm

Excellent. So we've got a Dwarven Fighter. Don't worry about originality. When you consider that there's only so many combinations of Race and Class, those of us who've played a lot have seen every combination a few times. What makes your character original is their back-story and their actions.

Next there is a few things you need to do:
  • Get your skill points. As a Fighter, your skill-points at 1st level is (2 + INT Modifier) x 4. Your INT score of 10 gives you an INT Modifier of 0. So you have 8 Skill Points to spend on skills.

Skills have Ranks. Skills can be either Class Skills or Cross-Class Skills. Class Skills for the Fighter can be found here. You spend 1 Skill Point (of which you have 8) to gain 1 Rank in a Class Skill; or you can spend the same Skill Point for 1/2 (half) Rank in a Cross-Class Skill. Considering fighters don't get many skill points anyway, you're usually best to only worry about Class Skills and let the other members of the group handle the other sorts of tasks.
  • Choose Your Feats. Here's a big list of them. As a 1st Level Character you get to choose one. As a Fighter you get to choose an extra feat from the list of Fighter Bonus Feats (which are on that same page). Fighters are often the in-their-face combat players, so battle-related feats are usually a good idea.
  • Roll Money and Purchase Goods. Then you can roll dice for you starting gold. For a Fighter, you roll 6d4*10. With whatever amount of money that is, you can then choose your equipment. Don't forget to purchase a weapon and armour. As a Figther, you'll be in the thick of it, so depending on the type of weapon you want to use, a shield wouldn't hurt. A Fighter is proficient with all Simple and Martial Weapons, all Armour, and all Shields (if you bought an Exotic Weapon, you would not be proficient in it, which means you're not very effective in combat and suffer penalities). As a Dwarf, you also treat Dwarven Waraxe and Dwarven Urgosh as Martial Weapons (for the other Races, they are considered Exotic Weapons). Because of this dwarven familiarity, you are also proficient because you're a Fighter.
Also, as a Dwarf you have a few other neat things, like Darkvision and Stonecunning that you want to keep in mind.

Finally; you'll need to come up with as much or as little back-story you want for you character.
Grigori Steelbrow

Post by Grigori Steelbrow » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:31 pm

So here's what I was thinking for skills and feats:

- blind fighting
- improved shield bash
- 2 ranks climbing
- 2 ranks crafting
- 2 ranks jumping
- 2 ranks swimming

Starting gold:
6d4*10

Any thoughts/criticisms/etc. would be appreciated.
NeomerArcana
Site Admin

Post by NeomerArcana » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:30 pm

Couple notes for you:
  • Blind-Fight is always useful.
  • Improved Shield Bash is pretty cool. Keep in mind though that it's an off-hand weapon (which means you roll shit-dice to attack), at least to start off with, after a while, you get good at it. Plus, as a Fighter, once you're getting more than one attack per turn, you'll be bash/stabbing everything. Get yourself a shield, if you can afford to, with spikes to increase the damage shield bashing does.
  • Climbing, Jumping, Swimming are all handy
  • Craft you need to pick an actual craft that you can produce. The Craft page on the d20SRD has a list of some, but if you can think of another one that isn't on there that you want, just ask me.
Purchase some gear now.
Grigori Steelbrow

Post by Grigori Steelbrow » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:57 am

Okay, so for the crafting(if I understood correctly) I will go with a rank in armorsmithing and a rank in weaponsmithing.

As for gear I chose as follows:
Dwarven war axe -30gp
Heavy steel shield+spikes -30gp
Scale mail -50gp
Locked gauntlet -8gp
Masterwork artisans tools -55gp

Then I have 37gp leftover.