INT: 9
WIS: 16
CHA: 9

Skills:
Concentration 1 Rank
Heal 1 Rank
Profession: Cooking 1 Rank
Spellcraft 1 Rank

Domains: Creation (Complete Divine p.138) & Summoner (Complete Divine p. 141)

Domain Spell: Summon Monster 1
0-Spells
Purify Food/Drink
Create Water
Read Magic
1-Spells
(4) Cure Light Wounds
Hilda Hearthstone
Race: Human
Class: 1st-lvl Cleric

Re: Character Creation - DarthPanda

Post by Hilda Hearthstone » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:33 pm

Backstory: Hilda Hearthstone is faithful follower of Moradin, All Father to the Dwarves. The roll that she served her clan was in the kitchens. She was often found summoning celestial monkeys to help her with easy tasks such as stirring or bringing her ingredients that she needed but couldn't leave what she was doing. It was there, that Hilda received her true calling. Upon the 40th Name Day of Hilda, during her morning devotions, Moradin came to her and gave her a holy charge. She was to go and learn the spell Pavilion of Grandeur (Complete Divine p. 138) and perform it for His glory for the annual New Year Celebrations. She was to take over as master of ceremonies for her clan and feed His people, the Dwarven People.
Hilda Hearthstone

Re: Character Creation - DarthPanda QUESTION

Post by Hilda Hearthstone » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:42 pm

Question: I've got 70 gold. Are you letting me use that towards weapons and armor or does that even apply to things like the bedroll, backpack, etc.?
NeomerArcana
Site Admin
Class: Dungeon Master

Post by NeomerArcana » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:55 pm

Cool back story. There's a slight problem though, I assume your cleric worships Moradin, which means your domains need to be from his list. Creation is fine, but Summoner will have to change (unless you worship a cause rather than a god).

Next you should have, as a 1st level Cleric with a +3 WIS, three 0-level spells, two 1-level spells (one is a bonus spell from +3 WIS), and then an additional 1-level domain spell. So I'll assume your 4 cure light wounds spells prepared is actually just 2 cure light wound spells?

Everything has to come from the 70gp. Backpack, bedroll, rations, water etc.
Hilda Hearthstone

Post by Hilda Hearthstone » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:32 pm

Well I went with the Summoner Domain because it said "Core Deities: None". Then, going with the theme of Moradin and creation; him being the All Father of the Dwarves. It was his gift to Hilda to help her with her work in the kitchen but also to aid her in the quest to master the Pavilion of Grandeur. :)
How does that sound?
NeomerArcana
Site Admin

Post by NeomerArcana » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:51 pm

The rules work like this. You can choose a deity, which is pretty standard for a cleric. Cleric's can also choose a belief or cause rather than a deity. If you choose a deity, you are restricted in what you can worship if they are one of the creator deities. I.e., a Human Cleric can't worship Moradin, because Moradin would only choose dwarfs as his holy warriors (D&D is racist like that).

If you choose to worship a deity, the domains you take must be one of their domains, or an alignment domain that matches your own (remember that your alignment must be within a step of your deities as well as a rule). If you don't worship a deity you can pick any two domains, but the alignment domains still have to match yours.

Don't treat the above rules as just mechanics, they need to play into your character. So you've said your character is on a quest given by her god, which is totally cool, but that means she would necessarily be a Cleric of Moradin which restricts your domain choice. The reason is to keep the game world consistent, and therefore maintain verisimilitude. You can easily drop your worship of Moradin however, and simply have your Cleric believe in the cause of maintaining the dwarven culture and cuisine, or even to improve it via the discovery of others foods and techniques. Or change Summoning to one of the alignment domains or one of Moradin's others.

"Core Deities: None" is really just a bit of a pain because it means only non-religious clerics, or those that worship some half-assed god can use it.
Hilda Hearthstone

Post by Hilda Hearthstone » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:07 pm

Ok, I'll drop the worship part of Moradin.
Thanks, I'm going to use what you said, "You can easily drop your worship of Moradin however, and simply have your Cleric believe in the cause of maintaining the dwarven culture and cuisine, or even to improve it via the discovery of others foods and techniques."

So yes, that is her "cause": To become the Head of the Kitchen in her clan, one must master the art of feast making. Hilda learned of a spell called Pavilion of Grandeur. In order to execute the spell, she must master the art of Dwarven Cuisine. It's not just one to be master chef, but to discover new ways of cooking, new flavors that can improve the culture of the Dwarves. Also, the feast that is created must be unlike ever seen before by the clan.

How does that sound?
NeomerArcana
Site Admin

Post by NeomerArcana » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:13 pm

This sounds like one of the best character ideas I've seen. I already have some plans.

Just a correction. What I wrote isn't 100% correct, you can only chose alignment domains if they match yours AND are offered by your deity. If you have no god, then you can take them if they match your alignment.
Hilda Hearthstone

Post by Hilda Hearthstone » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:28 pm

Starting Equipment:
Shield, Light (9gp) Shield Bonus +1
Mace, Light (5gp) 1d6DMG/Crit. x2/Bludgeoning
Armor, Studded Leather (25gp) Armor Bonus +3/Max Dex Bonus +5/Armor Check Penalty -1

Backpack (2gp)
Bedroll (1sp)
Torch (3cp)
Waterskin (1gp)
Holy Symbol, wood (1gp)
(2) Sack (2sp)
Rope, Hempen (50ft) (1gp)
(2 Day) Trail Rations (10sp)
Pot, Iron (5sp)
Tankard (2cp)
Flint/Steel (1gp)
Flask (empty) (3cp)
(5) Tindertwig (5gp)
Winterblanket (5sp)
(2) Caltrops (2gp)
Candle (1cp)
Total: 55 GP/23 SP/9CP
Starting Balance: 70 GP
Ending Balance: 12gp/6sp/1cp
Hilda Hearthstone

Post by Hilda Hearthstone » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:29 pm

I'm super excited about this character! I wanted to play something "out of the box" so to speak.

She refers to her Mace as a "Meat Tenderizer".